View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Video: People Like Us: Social Class in America 
All-star
All-star

I enjoyed watching the segments showing the preceptions of what some people thought about who lives where and what type of people they are just because of their house and the contents inside. (They were not always correct in their guessing.) I also agree with the fellow who said he looks at the "class" of people by how they act, not neccessarily by the amount of money they have. I think you can also "class" people by those standards in general conversation, but I realize across the board in America we class by money. I think you can have "high class" actions and attitudes in low income housholds, just as you can have "low class" people in the high income brackets based on their actions and attitudes as well.

Mon May 30, 2005 11:02 am
All-star
All-star

I agree Donna, regardless of how much money I ever attain or how nice my house is, I think I will always be a redneck at heart. Give me a campfire by a fishing river and some cold beer anytime :!: That is where I am happiest :lol:

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

:cry: I am glad I am not one of those wasps...they seem to live shallow lives and only concern themselves with money and standing..Did you ever see a hearse pulling a uhaul?...I would love to convince these people they are broke and force them to hold down a working class job and have them make some real-life decisions. They may actually obtain some moral fiber and humility and learn who they are and can be. As for the Grogan school being proud of having Roosevelt attend: he learned character from his father and the fact that he had chronic asthma. If his father had not told him to "build himself up" through physical activity he would never fell in love with the outdoors and we would not have any state parks today.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I certainly do not have very much money, but I try to act like I have a little class. However, it's hard keeping up with the Jones (no pun intended).

Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:07 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also try to act "classy" eventhough I do not have large sums of money. I agree with the man from the video that you can be a class act without being wealthy.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:17 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that it is your attitude and outlook on life that makes you high or low clas. Of course, a million dollars would not but it seems that people tend to be stuck up and think they are better than everyone once they get some green in their pocket. In the video, I also thought it was interesting when they asked people what class they were. Almost all of them said middle class. The one woman shook her head at her husband when he said it because they obviously lived in a mansion and she felt they were high class.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]