View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 academically tested or opinion? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am sure there is a lot of truth to the article "The Silenced Dialogue" but it strikes me as creating a lot of double standards. If a white person were to address a topic by insinuating that "all" the people of a minority group were "stubborn" and would not listen, they would be persecuted,fired, and basically hung out to dry. Not only that, but once those kids pass through the doors of the school aren't they all our kids(black, white, yellow or green). They are not "other people's kids." How can someone address equality and power distribution and then in the same breath qualify themselves. Am I just being that "defensive,deaf" white person the author talks about? Maybe but I still believe the perpetuation of prejudice is something a lot of us do to ourselves.(Being a member of two different minority groups; I know I do it.) So in order to talk about power distribution and having an equal voice shouldn't we stand on equal ground for example by being among the ranks of academia who are "required" to provide research or "proof" of what we want everyone else to pay attention to. If not then doesn't what we are putting forth become just another opinion. Man, some of these articles get me riled up!

Tue May 31, 2005 9:11 pm
All-star
All-star

Why do we do research if we are not going to go by the results. Why should I change my entire class for the needs of one, when I can assist them in other ways. Teachers should do what is best for all of their students. The trick is to find out how to accomplish it. I think the best teaching strategy or style will not work for all of the students, but you should find one that helps most of them. Then go out of your way and make an extra effort to help the rest. This can be inside the class or after school. This was seen in the video on the debate team.

Tue May 31, 2005 10:51 pm
All-star
All-star

Sometimes I feel like I should apologize for being and thinking white, but I am and it is the way I view the world. I cannot be something I am not any more than my students can be something they are not. I think the trick is in the classroom you have to remember that not all of our students will experience the world in the same way. If you give a direction to the class and the result is that some of the students doesn't or refuses to follow, you have to go back and think through why it happened. Regardless of the color of the student. Ditto for successful days.

About the research, is it possible that we are looking for the wrong answers? Asking the wrong questions? Studies designed by one ethnic group are bound to have an innnate bias in them and therefore the results may only be applicable to the students within the same ethnic group. How do we design a study that will account for all variables? I would not want to be the researcher with that task.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sorry, I posted a topic in response to the same article you did. However, my impression does agree with yours. Why not do a study and draw a conclusion which changes the way things are done based on the needs of the minority. It seemed like a hands on tool for assimulating minorities into mainstream. I would be upset if I were black or indian. Who cares who has the power....quit bragging and give everyone a chance.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We need to stop catagorizing poeple as black, white, latin, and asian. We need to remember that these students are all kids. They may come from different backgrounds but all children have hopes and dreams. I agree with William Eric, we need to develope a plan that will best benefit the majority and then make modifications for those with special needs.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]