View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Lisa Delpit's teaching style 
All-star
All-star

I really do not understand the style of teaching that Delpit wants. She quotes a parent and says the children will do what you tell them to if you tell them what to do. This seems to be similar to the working-class schools. Students will not have to think they just follow directions. Delpit goes on to say that she does not advocate a simplistic style of teaching and critical and higher-order thinking and reasoning should be involved. She later states on page 163 that children of color and poor children should be taught what adults of color and poor adults agree with. Should the education for the poor and people of color be different? Will teaching something other than what the state requires put them at a disadvantage later in life?
I disagree with the class system of teaching children on page 156. According to the money my family makes, we are lower class. I started my sons education out with directives, "Ryan, that was not nice." However, if my son did the same thing at the age of two I would ask him, "Ryan, was that nice." This allows him to think and remember what he has learned. When I talk to my inmates at work I treat them the same way. For example, an inmate is walking down the hall and he is talking too loud. I usually say, "Hey man your talking too loud and others are still in class, how about holding the noise down?" They stop talking loud and move on. The inmate has thought about what was said and made the choice to comply. I use to say, "Hold the noise down others are still in class!" This command usually caused the inmate to make a sound like a leaky tire and they ignored the command or said something to me. This went for black, white, Asian, and Mexican inmates. I challenged his power in front of his friends and forced him to respond by challenging my power. This is a reaction, and did not require the inmate to think. I want my students to think, not just march when I tell them to.

Tue May 31, 2005 10:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I liked your illustration of when you have to quiet down an inmate. I believe everyone responds more positive when they are shown a little bit of respect. Even though you are giving an order, it is not demeaning. I have learned when I treat my students in I.S.S. with a little respect, they return it. Many times their teachers will send assignments and tell me not to expect any work to be done. They usually do work. I offer to help and remind them if they don't they will be in more trouble. They believe I am working for their good, and I am.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]