View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Those inspiring Warriors 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

:D I was so inspired by the achievements of the Warrior debate team. I feel that when students are given opportunities, REAL opportunities such as this debate team, and when students are given support like that of Mr. Angela. they will blossom. This video should serve as an awareness and an inspiration to all us going into future classrooms. We can not buy into this groupng kids on abilty and adjusting our expections accordingly. We can start by making small differences such as Dr. Turner did in her AP high school class. Mix up the students purposely and give it a try. This is something that I feel strongly about. My brother experinced this in school;
Very sickly before entering kindergarten, was always a little behind, started getting labeled, put in lower classes, retained a grade in high school and had a very negative school experience. Today he is a successful chef at a country club in Raliegh. This is because after school he acquired jobs and training and met some people who BELIEVED in him. That is what our future students need and that is what we all need at times

Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:39 am
All-star
All-star

I agree!! I just hope I will have the talent (and the strength and the character) to make a difference in the classroom and aid what appears to be the underdogs. I hope I will be able to recognize situations in which I can change things as did Dr. Turner. I am one who follows orders and rules fairly well. I was taught to "bow down" to school adminstration, and although I did have to stand up to a few when my sons were in school, it was not easy!! If I did not cry during the meeting, I was certainly crying before I got to the car. Hopefully, with all this trainning, I will be stronger and more professional by the time I actually have a class of my own.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well said Britta; I feel despite what topic you are teaching,and despite the socio-economic class of the children; and what stereotypes may exist ALL children should be treated fairly. By fairly I mean students deserve to be taught by a caring individual whose main concern is the advancement of their students by whatever means necessary. If we all have had negative experiences with prefudice and stereotypes then who if anyone actually benefits from these practices?

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Britta is right on the target. We as teachers must strive to motivate our students. We must make sure that they know that we believe in them. Students that believe in theirselves can do anything.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:56 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree also. I have seen students that most people would give up on and just hope they drop out at 16 turn their lives around and do wonderful things. If someone believes in you, you can achieve anything you set your mind to.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:56 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That was such a nice personal achievement for your brother. Thanks for sharing. I too agree that a lower income should equal failure for a student.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]