View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Taeching should be fun. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Bill Bigelow, teaching should be fun. Children learn best when class is fun. If you are excited about what you are teaching then the kids will be more open to what you are teaching. Finding ways to teach without standing in front of the students cramming information down their throat can be a challenge. As a teacher I will not be affraid to try new things.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Connie. I too found the article interesting, in part because I've never had been exposed to very many creative lessons like his. I'm afraid that as a teacher I won't be able to make my lessons great or exciting. I would like to a have an ASU class solely pertaining to lesson planning, etc. I feel lost when the subject comes up.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is a great idea, I think it would be great to have a class with the sole purpose of teaching us how to create exciting lesson plans. Maybe this will be part of some of our classes down the road.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:48 pm
All-star
All-star

I also agree because I do not work in a school now, and I want to use all methods that I possibly can to make learning fun. But I do not know many methods at all right now. I guess our methods will come to us through experience and our student teaching.

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I have watched all of the teachers at the prison. The History teacher is the most excited and entertaining. He likes to show videos from each decade and he includes a sample of music with each video. His class is always on task, and I have never had to take a student out of his class. His students like to stay behind and talk after class, and I end up running them out. He has the second highest GED passing rate at the prison. I hope to be as lively, informative, and entertaining as he is.

Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:27 pm
All-star
All-star

Teaching should absolutely be fun - the teachers that I remember were passionate and spastic about their chosen subjects - it is those memories that I'll always cherish:).

Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I like to laugh some every day, and I think that part of my personality will show in my teaching--at least I hope it does.

(Most days the thing I find to laugh at is my self! I hope that also shows through so my students can learn to lighten up and enjoy life!)

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:57 pm
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
Teaching to me is like an improv. performance. You stand before your
audience, the students, and it is your job to keep their attention in
what ever ways nescessary, and to make sure that they take something with them. Why would the students want to learn what you know if you don't seem nterested in it yourself. Having fun in what ever you do is the key to keeping you happy as well as those around you. Oh yea, that Bigelow character seems to be on to something.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

:shock: I agee that learning should be "fun". I'm sitting here trying to remember what I could from my middle school days....First, I remember science projects and how I scraped together materials for a project.. Second, I remember collecting butterflies, rocks, leaves, and flowers for classes. I remember math and spelling bees, and then some out of the way rewards teachers came up with. I did manage to learn the basics but things like this are what I remember.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]