View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bill Bigelow's Human Lives Behind the Labels 
All-star
All-star

Reading Bill Bigelow's story on how he got his students to realize the injustices going on behind making some of our most popular clothes and toys was a real eye opener for me. I know about sweatshops and the cruelty behind them, but I never stop when shopping and say, who made this?, was it a twenty-something trying to make a living or a six year old trying to survive the next beating? In order to stop the horror, we need to start buying more things that are made in America, then maybe the companies will start treating the workers in other countries better.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:49 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that we should buy made in America products, but the problem is that just because the label states where it was made it is not necessarily true. One small part of the product may have been made here or assembled here. I do not know the answer to sweatshops or big corporations taking advantage of consumers and employees. It would be nice to think we could/ would all boycott companies like Nike, but it is unrealistic. We are a society that loves 'things' and are used to pretty much having what we desire.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:41 pm
All-star
All-star

This is true. Americans love their "stuff" that we totally do not need. I guess the only way to try and help is to complain to the CEO's of these big companies about their practices. But as long as we keep buying their products they will just worry about making money and not who they are hurting.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:03 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you all. I remember when I was little going shopping with my grandfather, and how he looked at a tag, or sticker just to see "Made in America." That little tag means alot to these older generation folk than us younger ones. Does it have something to do with the fact that these older people fought over seas where these products are being made and know how these lands are? Just something to ponder.

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree that the way to stop such practices is boycott, but if Iwere to say I would do that consistently it woild be a false statement. Unfortunately, the truth is I am selfish, the problem is far enough removed that I can forget it on a daily basis, and I love my nikes. This total sense of apathy is sad but to admit to anything else would be a lie.

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]