View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Questioning IQ 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After our class discussion tonight, I thought about IQ and learning ability on the way home. It would seem to me that if a person's learning ability can be negatively affect by DNA, then wouldn't it stand to reason that a person's learning ability could also be positively affected by their hereditary? What do you think?

Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree. If a child of two parents can be born with decreased mental capacity then it is only logical to assume that a child could be born with a higher than average mental capacity.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:52 pm
All-star
All-star

Two parents of very low IQ could have a child who is of "normal" IQ or even have one with a genius level IQ, so who is to say that genetics are not part of intelligence.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:21 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
I think that genetics plays a part in the physical development of an individual, but if that individual has no one to nurture the cognitive development then it does not matter what their mental capacity is the individual is not going to be able to reach full potential.

Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:58 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, it does make sense that genetics could positively affect IQ. The first thing that I thought of was marrying back in the day for money, position, power and of course breeding.

Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I think so too, I read a really good book about it once called "The Fourth R" in which two really smart people married and concieved in order to create a super genius. But even in the book the two scientist made sure they created a nurturing environment for their kid. I don't think the two can be wholly separated.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]