View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Questions from board 
All-star
All-star

My answers to the questions off the board are:

Student gets up....first ask them why they are up, then if no legitimate reason tell them to please sit down, if refused send to office.

Refuse to do assignment...ask why they do not feel they need to do this assignment, if they say it is to boring, give them a similar yet harder assignment. If they say they just don't want to do it, have them call their parents at work or home and let student explain their reason to their parent and then make them do it anyway.

Is weak from fasting during Ramadan...call parents and let them know the students fasting is interfering with the students ability to learn, if no result ask the guidance councelor to intervene.

Jumps out a window...if it is a one story building, make sure student is alright and then call the principal and guidance councelor. If it two or more stories call 911.

Insists they do better listening to music on headphones... tell them they can do that all they want at home, but at school it is against the rules and might interfere with other students ability to learn.

What is everyone else's answers?

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:19 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Student gets up during class - ask why and where they are going, then tell them to please sit down

Refuses to do an assignment - give him options (do the assignment or go to ISS)

Is weak.... - allow them to get snacks and don't get into religion

Jumps out a window - send another student to get disciplinarian to come get him

Insist he works better.... - make him understand that no he doesn't or have him just sing to himself, but you have to be fair to the other kids

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:48 am
All-star
All-star

Student out of sit - wait a minute to see if he/she is going to the trash can; if he is just up wandering, I would approach him/her and ask if he/she need anythng; if not, I would ask him/her to go back to sit; I would also remind them how much more time is left in class

refuses to do class assignment - I would talk to the student independantly to find out if there was a problem; if no major problem then I would remind him/her of the concequenses of not doing the assignment; if it remains to be a problem, I would arrange for the student to stay afterschool and work one on one with student or have him do an unpleasant job like pick up trash or something; maybe if he knew there were more negative concequences than just a bad grade, then maybe he/she would be enticed in the future to do the the assignment the when it is first assigned;

weak from fasting: I would ask if they were allowed to drink broth or water; if so I would try to arrange for the student to have whatever in the future; I would allow them to rest for awhile and of course if the student was seriously weak, I would notify parents

jumps out the window - depends on how high off the ground we are; if not too high and student is not hurt, to me this is a matter for the principal and parents and I'd hope they would call in the resource officer

insists on listening to music - if is not against school policy and if no one else can hear the music and if the student was working (at a normal speed) I think it would be okay; if is against school policy, I would probably ask for permission; also, I would probably check with parents and as long as lyrics were okay then I would be okay with the music; this is a time I would have to remind student that profanity is not allowed in school, therefore the music he/she listens to cannot have profanity

Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

These are my responses to the five questions...

1. If a student was walking around, my first impulse would be to ask him to take his seat. However, I believe I should give him/her a little time to see what they are doing. Probably they are just bored, but maybe they are tired and just need to stretch a little. If he/she did it often, I would take them into the hall and talk to them about it.

2. If a student refused to do an assignment, I probably wouldn't get into it with them in front of the students. I would talk to them later and try to find out what the problem was. If I couldn't get through to them, I may suggest a visit to the counselor or the principal (if the student is disrespectful).

3. If the student was weak from Ramadan, I would give him extra time for assignments and light duty while he was at school. It is not my job to regulate his/her religious beliefs.

4. If the student jumped out of the window, I would call for assistance.

5. If the student wanted to use headphones I would plan special days for the entire class to use headphones. Maybe I would allow headphones when students meet goals (as a reward).

Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

1. If a student was wandering around I would insist that he take his seat or finish the purpose of his travel.

2. If a student refused to complete his assignment, I would questions his movitation for refusing the assignment and determine the validity of his point. If I disagreed with his reason for not completing the assignment I would insist that he did or suffer the consequences.

3. If a student was a practicing Muslim I would respect his participation in Ramadan rituals and make adjustments for him as neccessary.

4. If a student jumps from a window he is too far away physically and mentally for me to help him. I would probably scream until somebody came running. As a side note, my husband escaped after school detention in middle school at Glen Alpine by jumping from a window and taking the bus on home!

5. If a student insists on listening to music he can listen at home. I would help him explore alternative methods of concentration.

Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:52 pm
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
These are my responses to the five questions...

1. If a student was walking around, my first impulse would be to ask him to take his seat. However, I believe I should give him/her a little time to see what they are doing. Probably they are just bored, but maybe they are tired and just need to stretch a little. If he/she did it often, I would take them into the hall and talk to them about it.

2. If a student refused to do an assignment, I probably wouldn't get into it with them in front of the students. I would talk to them later and try to find out what the problem was. If I couldn't get through to them, I may suggest a visit to the counselor or the principal (if the student is disrespectful).

3. If the student was weak from Ramadan, I would give him extra time for assignments and light duty rhile he was at school. It is not my job to regulate his/her religious beliefs.

4. If the student jumped out of the window, I would call for assistance.

5. If the student wanted to use headphones I would plan special days for the entire class to use headphones. Maybe I would allow headphones when students meet goals (as a reward).

Great ideas. I think it is important not to get into a power struggle with the students. Addressing the problems privately or casually avoids loosing control of the rest of the classroom. I especially like the solutio to number five.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]