View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 IQ Tests 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Do IQ tests really measure your intelligence? So what does it really mean that your IQ is 65 or your IQ 100? Are you "dumb" if your IQ doesn't exceed that of others? Just a few questions for you to ponder.

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:53 am
All-star
All-star

I think IQ tests measure your ability to reason. And do all people reason the same, no. Therefore I do not believe we should use IQ tests. What does everyone else think?

Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:24 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think IQ tests can be beneficial if used correctly, but to judge the whole of society by them or to judge any one persons ability to accomplish all tasks by one test, one number is insane.

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that using a single test to lable someone for the rest of their life is insane. All people react differently to test. Some people are great test takers and yet have no common sence, and then others may be genius and be bad test takers. I just wonder how Einstine would have tested?

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm sure that at some point I was given an IQ test, but I don't remember it. I'm afraid to take one now... what if I scored badly? Would that mean that I am dumb?

Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:19 pm
All-star
All-star

Okay no all bright people are not smart and vice a versa - IQ while helpful and useful is still manmade and subject to flaws and shortcomings.

Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I have had the same thoughts Kristi--I'm not sure I want to know anyway. Would I think less of my ability or expect more out of myself? Lord knows I am under enough pressure as it is. :roll:

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

An IQ Test has been proven to not be able to test someone's intelligence level. The IQ test today is used to test how well someone will do in school ( at least that is what my CI2800 professor said).

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Didn't one of our readings tell us that IQ scores change or drop during adolescence? I think I remember reading that somewhere.
O.K. so a kid scores high in third grade and he's put on a path throughout the rest of his education. Will anyone notice when he gets to middle school that he doesn't seem as bright but keep him on the same path because six years ago his IQ was high?

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:29 pm
All-star
All-star

Connie, Einstein failed most of his tests. He also flunked out of school because he was not a strong test taker. But look where he went after that. Because of him and his intelligence, not his test taking abilities, we now have the theory of relativity.

Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:57 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Einstein is a really good example of not really being able to measure someones intelligence in just one way. While on the one hand he had difficulties in school (probably a little bored) yet he was a genius and made great intellectual strides. I'm not sure how these IQ test are designed so therefore I'm not sure if they can take into effect the theory of multiple intelligences either. I hope I never get to a place as an educator where I fully depend on a number to mesure a students abilty.

Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You know I often question IQ test myself. When we give our six graders the IQ test and the results come back we are not suppose to give the parents the exact number. We are told to give them a range number. For example, if a students IQ test came back as a 90 we are suppose to give the range of 89-93. Even the range is given to us from the testing officals and certain people will tell you how in accurate they really are. However, it is the best tool at this time they have especially if the child needs to put it certain classes such as AG or special-ed. I do not think it should be the only measure of intelligences.

Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]