View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 5 questions 
All-star
All-star

1. If a student was walking around during class I would ask him/her, "Why are you out of your seat?" i would then tell the student that they could do whatever they were going to do, later.
2. I would ask a student why they refused to do an assignment. i would do my best to make the student see that they are suppose to do their work.
3. If a student was weak from Ramadan, i would call their parents to tell them that it is affecting their work. If Ramadan is a hardship, they can stop the fast.
4. If a student jumped out of a window high enough to hurt themselves, I would call the office for assistance. Then I would run downstairs because I am CPR trained.
5. I would not let the student listen to headphones in class. I would tell them that they can do it all they want to at home, but not in my class.

Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just a suggestion... If a student was weak from Ramadan, it may be better to give the student a little extra time to complete the assignment. I believe that his/her parents may get a little upset with you(or me) if we suggest they abandon their religious beliefs. But I see your point... it would bother me to see a middle grades student "fasting."

Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:59 pm
All-star
All-star

If a student was fasting because of Ramadan and was weak in my class I would do a couple of things. First, if they were to weak to work or walk then I would get the school nusre. Next, if the student was basically o.k. but noticeably not himself and other students saw something was wrong with their fellow student, then I would ask the student if he would explain why he was fasting (unless it was against his beliefs) and that would give everyone a chance to learn about another culture. Especially since Muslims are so sterotyped as being terrorists.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:03 am
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
Good answer Mr.Morris. Having the student share their beliefs would not only allow for a change of pace in the classroom, but it may also help the student to feel more comfortable about their beliefs around others and relieve some of the strain of the fasting.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:08 pm
All-star
All-star

I have to agree with avoiding the suggestion that the student stop fasting. I can imagine my reaction if someone told me to stopr receiving communion or to discontinue praying. That sounds like a quick way to get the school system and yourself personally into court.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

1. If a student started walking around during class, I would watch to see if he was just going to the trash can or coming to ask me a question. If I did not see his walk taking any kind of direction, I would find out what's up. If he refused to join the class for no good reason other than being difficult, I would send him to the office.

2. If a student refused to do an assignment, I would first find out why. If there is no reason, then it is a zero. If the student needs help, I'll find a way to help.

3. The student weak from fasting for Ramadan could possible get a break on school work provided he make up all missed or incomplete assignments and lead a class presentation/discussion on Ramadan.

4. A kid jumping out a 1st floor window goes to the principal's office. Any floors higher than that, he or she probably goes to the Emergency Room.

5. A kid with headphones is tough. Today the teachers and kids are text messaging in school. It is going to depend on if all school work is complete and if it is a distraction to other kids.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]