View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dear Little Joe 
All-star
All-star

Joe was quite a complicated young woman. I can understand her turmoil over conflicting cultures ie: Spanish and "American" and how she could feel torn. Her negative attitude deminished her in my eyes. I feel like she was given an amazing opportunity but clearly she also lost something in the bargin - but look at what she gained - opportunity, wealth, prestige and the chance to give her children things that she never had. I think that perhaps she'll look back upon her years at the school and see how much and how greatly it affected her life. For better or worse it is done.

Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I hope for her that her experiences at the school helped her grow in a positive manner and not in a negative way. For instance, she felt everyone looked down on her for being Puerto Rican. If she did not get over that then maybe today she has an "imaginary audience" where everything that happens to her is because she is Puerto Rican. Example: if she would cut someone off on the highway and they give her the finger then she may see that and think they don't like me because I'm Puerto Rican.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:50 am
All-star
All-star

Yes, Johnny, I agree. Some people, I think, blame some of the negative things that happen to them on their race. And I do believe this was true of Joe. I feel she was probably more negative to the camera or voiced her true heart and feelings to the person asking the questions than she was to her teachers and classmates. The interviewer was probably asking the right questions to get the negative responses. I agree with Charity. If Joe has not already matured and realized the blessings she received from being educated in the US (and at such a prestigious school), one day she will.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:26 am
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
I think many of us fall victim to Johnny's imaginary audiance. Joe clearly had a lot of issues she was dealing with and posibly the easy way out was to blame her problems on her ethnicity.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:04 pm
All-star
All-star

Speaking of Joe, I got so angry listening to her class mate give her a hard time about her art work. He basically said to her that her way of expressing herself was wrong because it was different than his way. Art is supposed to be an expression of what is inside isn't it?

I thought he was a real jerk, but at the same time I think he will look back at the way he spoke to her and learn something from the experience. I can think of times when I was in high school and said or did something insensitive that I would never do now. Their exposure to each other may have been painful at the time but I believe it had a lasting positive effect.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post Joe
I think it is also important to realize Joe's experience was taking place 20 years ago. There were not as many hispanics, or many other ethnicities, trying to assimilate at that time.
I am disappointed that after so many years, schools still do not do more to applaud diversity. Have we not always been told we should celebrate our individuality. Ethnicity is part of that individuality. Children should be proud of their families and their cultures if they are different, not embarrassed or ashamed.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]