View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Race and Incarcerations 
All-star
All-star

I always believed that if I did something wrong (and got caught!) that I would be sent to jail. I never felt that if I was white then I would get off easier than if I were black or hispanic. Alot of people believe that O.J. was guilty but he got off and I bet Michael Jackson will be found not guilty (not that I think he is guilty). Also, look at anyone who has money and alot of times they get out of going to jail or a hard labor prison (Martha Stewart, etc.). It seems that having money has more to do with getting out of prison than being white does.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:32 am
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
I think that I would have to disagree with you my friend. While Money definately helps, race is still a major factor in the treatment of any one who "gets caught" while doing something illegal. Suppose you or I were on trial, for the same crime, in the deep South as an AA male. Whom do you suppose is going to recieve the more severe consequnce? It is very sad that our society cannot, or will not, overlook something as trivial as color, or long hair, and continue to separate us and force us into categories.

Moral to the story: Don't get caught..er.. I mean don't do anything illegal.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with Chuk here. I think that if someone white was arrested by an african american police officer in an area predominantly black your sentence will probably be worse than if you were black as well. I do think that money does not hurt and could help some.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with both you guys. I feel that race does play its part but also money and how popular the trail is. Money does not hurt in most cases but race well it can hurt the person who is trying to get off the hook.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:07 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm gonna agree with Chuck on this one. Take a look at the Rodney King incident a while back, would that have been a big a case as it turned out if "the guy" would have been white. I truly do not think so. We do tend to look more at the color of ones skin rather than the crime itself.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:13 am
All-star
All-star

Here we are a week later and look, my prophecy came true. MJ was found not guilty.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I have to agree with Johnny. There are more white people in prison in the US than there are any other race. It may not appear so, it is true. There is a higher percentage of blacks since they are a minority, and the Hispanic numbers are growing.
The majority of the inmates have less than one-hundred dollars in their accounts, and they can have as much as ten thousand. a good portion of my inmates are indigent, and they get free hygiene products, shoes, and radios.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was upset to hear that MJ was found not guilty but I had a feeling that it would happen. If they had convicted an American icon of such a terriable offence against children they would have had to be placed into protective custody. There are some nutty people that worship Jacko the Whacko.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Johnny. It seems that defendants with money most always are found not guilty. Remember the case with Robert Blake a few monthes back? He was a white man (actor), but more importantly, he could pay for the best defense. It's all about having enough money to hire the experts!

Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:25 am
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
Here we are a week later and look, my prophecy came true. MJ was found not guilty.

The prophecy has been fulfilled? Oh, I though that you were refering to something else. Anyways, did you actually think that they would find him guilty? His name and lifestyle are to heavily publicized. He could have a slimber party sleep-over and no one is going to do a thing about it. Wait I think he did that already.

MJ wrote his own prophecy years ago...just beat it.

Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]