View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Emmett Till film 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We watched the 60 Minutes piece last night and the Boston schools film, and it blows my mind that even today we still have people who will take a human being's life just because of their race.
It is just so hypocritical of what America was supposed to be all about so many years ago.
Come to America, be free and independent....if you are just like me?!
I'm too practical. If it is wrong..make it right. If it is stupid...STOP doing it.
Don't let the next generation grow up with hatred and prejudice. It has not worked yet. It's not going to. Duh!

Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Annette. This world needs to get over their racial views. There is only one race... the human race! God made us all different (even identical twins have their differences). If he wanted us all to be alike, we would have all been alike. Once people grow up and realize this maybe the world will be better.[/u][/b]

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:00 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Yes, I agree!! I just cannot understand why people do such terrible things to other people and oh the little Tillman boy, I just cannot imagine why men would have such hate in their hearts!! I do praise the mother for having the courage to tell the world. She had to be so weak at such a time as that....yet she was so strong.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just a few more facts about the case...His mother was a single parent and school teacher in Chicago...Emmett's dad was killed in the service and left only a service ring to his son which his mother gave him just before he left for Mississippi. The defense attorneys argued for a while that the body was not that of emmett despite the fact he had the ring. Most of the black people turned their backs on Mississippi, never to return again. What a gruesome sight that boy must of been for the segregated population of 10,000 blacks which waited for hours to mourn his death.
He was a prime example of what a difference a few thousand miles can make in this Unified nation of ours...

Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:07 pm
All-star
All-star

i agree with you. This was a difficult show to watch. I can not think of how that little boys mother felt when she was first told. I have a son, and I believe that he should outlive me. AND I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. One thing to remember about that show. This happened many years ago, and there is still racial tension today, but it is less now than it was then. I think that it is slowly but gradually dissappearing. It will never be completely gone, but the racial violence is lessening.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with most of what you said however America with all of its beautiful language was not meant to be equal for women or persons of color in the beginning only for white prilveged men since then judges etc have interpreted the language in the constitution and in the declaration of independence to include all people regardless of race, sex etc. The beautiful thing about democracy is that its always changing and hopefully for the better idea :).

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Each generation I believe we improve a little with understanding other human beings. I know there are still hardcore racists, but I don't believe there are as many as fifty years ago. Perhaps in several hundred years people will see each other for their qualities, not their skin color.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Annette. It is ridiculus that people do these things to other people over their skin tone. One person I work with told me that he does not care about the skin color but he feels that "black people have the attitude that I owe them something because of the way their ancestors were treated." Of course I disagreed, I feel that it is a cover up for being racist. I don't know what to do to change someones mind that is like that. We can only state how we feel and hope others will listen.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]