View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Video:Emmit Till 
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
After watching the video we learned that the Justice Department has reopened the case of Emmit Till's death. Do you think those persons that are still alive and responsible or involved in the murder, if convicted, should spend time in prison :?:

Or perhaps some other form of punishment :?:

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

They should be made to work in a VA hospital or nursing home, taking care of the same race of people they have tortured for so long.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

:? :( Chuk, that is a good question. I guess if I were black or was directly affected by the death of Emmitt then I would definitely say yes, and probably a lot more...however, I think it would be better to hurt the southern racial supremecy these people feel protected them in the past. I would put them on trial..(which would be widely publicized, and prove without a shadow of a doubt and with great detail what they did) and then let them walk the streets knowing the truth is out. Guilty people take refuge in the thought they only know their guilt. Furthermore, how many fewer members do you think the Klan would have had if it had not been for the white hoods and sheets?

Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I realize that they are older now; however, they were allowed to live out their lives in comfort. Emmett's life was snatched from him in such a violent way. Yes, they should pay for their part in the crime. I'm not really sure of the best punishment for them, but something should be done to them.

Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:43 am
All-star
All-star

I agree Kristi. If they had a part in his kidnapping or death - I think they should receive the maximum penalty, even if they spend the rest of their lives in prison!!! This may seem cruel, but nothing the law will do to the ones that are guilty can compare to what was done to Emmett!

Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:32 am
All-star
All-star

Whoever had a part in this horrific crime knows what they did and has probably felt very guilty life since then. They know that when they die they will not be going to a better place for their part in the crime. I believe that since it has been so long, jail would probably not be the best place for them, just waiting to go to hell is probably punishment enough.

Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:08 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that murders are very concerned about going to hell. Especially those who commit premediated murder. Incarceration during the final moments of their lives would seem a bit too easy. I agree with Mary's comments about a public trial - maybe the public shame that will follow many generations would be punishment enough.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:11 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes and yes if the persons are still alive that were involved in his murder then they should face the same punishment as if it were the very year of his death. A person should not prosper because they skipped around the law or managed to avoid prosecution because of their deviant nature. Justice shall prevail !!!!

Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel that they should be prosecuted to the full extent. Even though they got to live their lives in freedom, something should be done now. They have either felt guilty all these years or are proud of what they did and are still rascist to this day. Life in jail does not to seem to cut it for me.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:28 am
All-star
All-star

I belive that when a person is convicted of a crime they should be punished. I have had several inmates over the ages of sixty and seventy. They are treated well and properly medicated. There is not a statute of limitations on murder.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe those responsible for the murder should have to pay for their crimes. A highly publicized trial would definately ruin their reputations in their communities, and it would serve them right to be humiliated and embarassed in front of their children and grandchildren. Hopefully they have not taught their entire families to hate. Also, why shouldn't they serve time in prison? Age has nothing to do with the crime. After their time is served they should be required to perform many hours of community service in the black community.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]