View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Are we bullies? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The more I read about the history of our society the more I wonder if we do not have a habit of pushing around others for our own agenda. First, we hold public fairs in which hanging another race is the main attraction. Second, we push indians off their land and take their children to "schools" in another state and force them to produce goods for a profit (the ones that survive diseases). We go into Vietnam (why I am not yet clear since we had first helped the Viet Cong defeat France,and refused to hold elections because we could not get our man in) and get our people killed in the process of killing their people and the end result is nothing changes. (I fear we are in another of these scenarios). We kill great men like Martin Luther King and try to kill the Pope. We are a crazy bunch...Survival of the fittest I suppose...Where's higher thinking???!!

Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that the US is sometimes a bully. I read that the rest of the world thinks the US likes to bully other countries around. PS. My great-gradmother was a full blooded Native american. SO YOU PEOPLE GET OFF MY LAND> LOL

Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:23 pm
All-star
All-star

On this playgroung known as Earth you get picked on period even if you're tough just look at the terrorist attacks in the United States and on U.S. interests over seas. It is easy to point the finger, I mean that genericly, when you are sitting in a safe, freedom filled country. The only reason that we are able to carry on such wild conversations is because of the soldiers that died in the defense of America and on the "missions" that they were sent on by her. We as ordinary citizens do not know what really happens behind the scences. Respect, respect, tolerance and acceptance there is a fine gray line but there is a line.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The only response that I can give is that hopefully we as a nation and as individuals learn from our mistakes. It is much easier to see the clear path after the fact. Sometimes we make decisions based on emotions... sometimes we don't think things out clearly. I know that I am guilty of hasty decisions.

Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:58 am
All-star
All-star

Mary McGuire wrote:
we push indians off their land and take their children to "schools" in another state and force them to produce goods for a profit (the ones that survive diseases).

Mary, I work with a lady who grew up on a reservation. She talks about what that was like sometimes. The thing that struck me most was that she often had her mouth washed out with soap for speaking in her native tounge. Can you imagine if we did that today to any of our ESL students? We are at least making progress in that respect. :idea:

Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe the US is a bit of a bully. We seem to think that since we are the richest country on Earth, that we have this right to have others do what we believe is right. If the US worried more about ourselves (i.e. homelessness, job losses,etc.) instead of what other countries are doing, maybe we wouldn't seem like bullies. I believe that we should only invade other countries if they ask for our help. If they don't, let's leave them alone.
PS Eric, my great-great grandfather was an Indian chief, I can stay too. LOL

Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:15 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

As an aside, I am of scotch-irish descent--no one really wanted us here because we wouldn't take sides!

Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think sometimes US can be a bully. We also try to be a superpower. So sometimes being a super power can be seen as being a bully. I am glad that our country has come this far. True there is still a distant to travel but at least we have found a starting point. I think we are starting to appreciate other cultures. Heather

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that the political powers of this country are an arrogant bunch of blow hards. This is very unfortunant because the world looks at their decisions and make judgement on all americans.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree, Heather. I think we started out pushing people around - like taking over the land when this country was established. And even though we as a country have not always treated others equally, I believe we are learning from our mistakes and are sincerely striving for equality for all, not just for ourselves but for the world. Sometimes, I guess, the US is seen as a bully, but to achieve peace and equality for all, this is probably necessary, as long as we "bully" the right people - technically, the "wrong" people.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:03 am
All-star
All-star

I also feel that this country is trying to police the world of its problems. Iraq now and what next Iran, Korea? There are so many problems here that should be taken care of first. I do understand that this is a different war and if we don't stop them then they will come back and do it again. It seems like a very thin line of being a bully and staving off the enemy.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The US is a big bully but we got that way fairly, go back to the end of WWII that is when the US really step up and started to be a super power then after the fall of the USSR then the Us became the only super power. WOW! now the US has to hold onto this power it is easy to obtain power but it is hard to keep. I would say that the US is a bully and does look into other peoples problems a little to much but who is to say that by stepping in other countries we are preventing another World War or a mass killing or not protecting us.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]