View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Make my brown eyes blue 
All-star
All-star

Last nights video was riveting. I was blown away by the immediate effect the workshop had on adults who I assume were otherwise rational indivuals. The video made obvious the subtle effects of racism and discrimination in our society, as well as highlighting its falacy. How did the rest of you take it?

Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Alice, I liked the video as well. I thought it was interesting to see the adults respond similiar to the way children respond to racism. It was also interesting to see that in the children that if they were the group being discriminated against their test scores we down based on taking the test when they were not being discriminated against. Heather

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The video goes right along with the self-fulfilling prophecy idea. If you tell someone their a certain way, they begin to feel and act accordingly. I just had no idea it was possible to change someone's attitude and apptitude so quickly. Basically it only took a few hours. It makes you realize how important it is to constantly show faith in students' abilities.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I kept thinking about how much I wanted to try that experiment. I like what Dr.Turner said about making it a half day thing instead of letting the kids go home with those feelings of inadequecy. I might could manage a half day but do not think I could maintain the discrimination for the whole day.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:40 am
All-star
All-star

I would like to try it for a day, but have about an hour at the end of the day to get feelings back to normal. Teens need to see how easily they are influenced by their peers or adults, and how they need to have their own opinions about subjects.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:45 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Peolpe who are depressed are a little slower. Think about it if you are having a sad day you are not as quick as you are as other days and other do notice. I am not surprised that their tesst scores were lover because if you are constantly being kicked around you probably are having a pretty crappy day.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I was surprised how quickly the children turned on thier friends. They loved the power they had over the blue eyes. It was a very good lesson, but the only sad thing is that minorities can not walk away from it at the end of the day. Also, I think it would be good for teens to go through. Teens need to learn to be themselves instead of being what MTV and freinds tell them to be. This taps into our article about why Johnny can't disobey. As a teacher it would be hard to be mean all day to them. Its like when adults would say the old sdaying" this will hurt me more than it hurts you." I'd keep telling myself that it is for their benefit.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:38 am
All-star
All-star

I was also surprised at how fast the children beamed with superiority and how fast the others lost their self-esteem. The effects this experiment had on their class work was also amazing. This certainly reveals the importance of keeping the children’s spirits up.

(My thoughts also go to the teachers who downgrade students and purposely make children feel bad about “wrongâ€

Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:39 am
All-star
All-star

I think that there are too many reality TV shows today, and that would keep anybody from reacting as much. I know that I would think it was a joke. However, I can imagine it taking place at my prison. If a couple of people were fooled into reacting, I can imagine which people would speak up and make fools of themselves. They are the same ones that speak up in our shift meetings and ask a question that someone else just asked. Every meeting the same people ask questions that were just answered and make themselves look dumb. They would be the ones that reacted like the woman with the gum in the video.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree that the video was very powerful. Did anyone notice the African American adult male who was very willing to point out negative aspects of those singled out? It made me think of all the misconceptions people have toward minorities and how quick he was to turn that around to others. Also, this lesson could be used in a history class to teach how masses of people can blindly follow a leader. We tend to believe things we are told about ourselves and others. It is easier to see now why people often just go along and don't try to change things.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:59 pm
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
I realize that I left class early, but I believe that I have seen these videos in a Social Psychology class. The experiment with the kids was incredible enough, but to see the adults react in the way that they did was great. You would think that by the time you reach adulthood you would stop caring so much about the opinions of others. That lady with the crazy glasses plays a great part.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought the video was very powerful as well. I was amazed on how quickly the experiment took place. Almost immediately the students felt the impact of being discriminated against.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

something i could not believe was how the students took it so far they were friends until something was pointed out that made them different, i just could not believe how fast it worked it did not even take an hour nor mounths. The teacher simply pointed out the difference between the children and made it known to the class, it was just one person saying it. The video also got me thinking about how much power one voice had.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]