View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 An Indian Father's Plea 
All-star
All-star

I was truly impressed with this father's letter to his son's teacher. I certainly learned a lot about the Indian culture and hope the teacher appreciated the info. My first thoughts were I wished I had spent more time teaching my children during their first five years. Then I wished we all had been raised/reared? Indian. Can you imagine how different we all would be today if our forefathers would have respected the Indian culture and integrated at least some of the Indian culture into the "American" ways? I remember hearing that the Indians, as they moved, would leave the land as they had found it – undisturbed. I think about that a lot – especially when I am buying “plasticâ€

Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:53 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Donna, I like you gained a great deal of knowledge of the Indian culture. I have strong Indian bloodlines that run through my famliy genelogy. I try to read everything I can about the Sioux and the Cherokee Indians. However, I had not put it in the prospective of this father. He help me to realize that though it is true we are not all from the same background but the things we learn first can often be a part of surviving. With that in mind I think of the students I have taught and will teach. I may see them as slow learners but that doesn't mean they cannot learn. It could be that the things they learn first are important to their survival whether it be what they need to do in order to eat each night or how to adjust to a chaotic home life. These types of students may need extra time to finish tasks but they may not actually be slow learners. I have also realized that even though I wish to know everything I can of the Indian culture I should not embarrass a student who may have the knowledge I seek. Being an Indian in this part of the United States is probably more rare than say Outwest. Therefore, this type of student I think would not want to appear different just as all other Middle School children. Of all the articles I have read thus far this is one that has touched me the most.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I loved this reading as well. I really gained a lot from the father's perspective. His approach to the subject, rational and designed to keep the teacher's ears open instead of inciting defensiveness, was great. This is a reading I will definitely read more than once. It can be applied to all cultures.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:33 am
All-star
All-star

If you have never read "The Education of Little Tree," it is a fascinating book. It talks about a lot of the things that young Indians learn that are way outside of the education that school kids get. I will warn you that you will most likely cry-hard.

The letter from the father was so compassionate and thoughtful, the student was lucky to have that kind of man as a father.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:04 am
All-star
All-star

I think the father would make a good teacher. He seems to understand that there is cultural differences in our schools.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]