View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Teachers or Censors 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The Kozol article made the Hidden Curriculum idea much clearer for me. I had never thought of the way we are given a watered down version of the actions of our heros like Thoreau, King, and Helen Keller. I never thought that there was a purpose behind filtering their passion. Though no one tells teachers directly, the message is clear: These are exceptional people who did things none of us can or should strive to do. How frightening to think that my role as a teacher could turn into that of a censor.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:46 am
All-star
All-star

I think that a teacher has to be a censor sometimes. I could not teach North Carolina History in the eigth grade and show pictures of lynchings. I could not talk about the Vietnam War and show the movie "Platoon" it's too violent and bloody. If you think about it we have always been given a watered down version of the truth, and over the years we are clued in to what really happened. For example, I was taught in the second grade the Columbus discovered America. However, I did not learn that he went to prison and died there until I was in highschool. We learn the sweet happy parts of history at a young age, and then the details are filled in later.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]