View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Teacher Talk 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The printout Teacher Talk has good ideas for teaching about Native Americans. There are so many little things we as teachers can say and do to build up Native American history, while at the same time simple words and gestures could really offend someone. I will keep these tips and incorporate them in my lessons about American history.

Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:44 pm
All-star
All-star

It is easy to say something and not realize that our comment may offend anyone. An episode of Seinfeld relates this very thing. Jerry was dating a Native American and he almost blurted out "Indian giver" (when she gave him something and asked for it back) and "scalper" (when he bought tickets off a street vender.) Also, he aked the mailman where the Chinese restaurant was and he got offended because he was Chinese. That episode shows how easy it is to offend someone.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:50 am
All-star
All-star

I took my son to ride Thomas the train this weekend at Tweetsie. The train went around to the fort and the actors did their normal routine, except at the end they did not fight they left in peace. I could not believe that they still put on that savage Indian routine.
The state has changed sexual harassment to undue harassment. This means you have to watch what you say at the prison. One officer got in major troble for saying, "You boys hold it down." He was an older white man talking to a group of inmates. The inmates were all black except one, and they all wrote grievances against him.
Female officers get mad when male officers try to help them control an inmate. The inmate is usually twice the size of the female and the male officers just walk up and stand by their side. some of the females think that it is telling the inmate that the female can only enforce rules when a male is around. I think it is just backing each other up.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]