View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Identity 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i believe that ones identity can be defined by the people we chose to hang out with or who are friends are because it seems we hang out with the people that live like you do. I believe that our friends in a classroom setting society in the real world set up who we are by where we live who we work with, what job do you hold. I believe that identity comes from our race, our friends, our society and even our backgrounds like we talked about last week, everything that makes you you is a big part of your identity.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:53 pm
All-star
All-star

We talked in one of our classes that the new segregation was to keep your kids away from poor people. I'm afraid that I agree. I am not so hung up on race, education level or type of job that people hold, but I do look at how someone lives. I do not think every one has to be rich or have really nice stuff, but they should be honest and hard working at whatever they do.

Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:08 am
All-star
All-star

Just because someone is poor does not mean they are not clean and are the stereotypical drunk trailer trash. The persons job does not matter because I work with about 200 people on a daily basis, and there is no dress code where I work. So I see all types of people from all walks of life. I would hope if someone saw me talking to someone that was gay or was known for hating a certain group of people that they wold not judge me just for talking to them. I do not feel that I am anyone to judge what other people do. I generally converse with everybody, and I know better than to let their prejudices rub off on me.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Interestingly enough, I prefer my children to go to public schools so that they can be exposed and socially interact with children of all kinds of races, ethnic backgrounds, and social status. If given the opportunity to attend the private school in our town, I would not want my children to go there because they would be limited in their exposure to such differences. My thing is we can't all live in "the neighborhoods" and perhaps don't want to. Life is full of different people from different backgrounds and with different life experiences. I want my children to respect people first and foremost as other human beings not becaiuse how wealthy their families are or not.

Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I grew up in a trailer park since my dad was in the Navy and we moved a lot. It wasn't until I was about 10 that they sold the trailer and moved onto base housing. The trailer went with us to Michigan, Florida, and Rhode Island. I did not consider myself "trailer trash" like many people around here do. We were a community and I loved it.

Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:10 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that the people we usually hang out with more than likely have many things in common we ourselves or else we would not be friends with them. For example, if someone judged everything I did in a negative way it would be hard for me to carry on a personnal relationship with them. As for where we live I think that is not always by choice. Sometimes a person has to make a sacrifice, in hopes that maybe things will be different. But even living in a place that is not ideal it still forms our personalities which in respect plays a big part in who we are friends with personnally.

Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]