View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 transgender people among us..have you known anyone personall 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Has anyone known personally a person who changed their outward gender? I worked with a young woman who had an operation to become a young male. He had an operation and took male hormones and became Felix. My only regrets is that I don't know him well enough to ask some of the questions I would like to. What have been your experiences?

Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:57 am
All-star
All-star

I do not "think" I know anyone who has changed their gender. My son went on a trip one time and had to stay in "host" homes. I wish I had a tape of the phone conversation when he called to tell me about the "father" of the boys he was staying with. It took me a few minutes to understand. He kept saying "she" then he would change his word to "he." I truly thought my son was exhausted and just kept getting confused. Then he finally just blurted out, "Mom, do you know what a bi-sexual is?" I thought "oh my" and I knew he was too far away for me to go get him!! I called the preacher and other "prayer partners" to pray a hedge of protection around my son. I was really scared for him - he was 13 and a young 13. I was confused at first about which sex the father truly was and which sex he was now attracted to. It turned out he was originally a man, Michael, and now, dressed like a woman, Michelle. (I do not know if he had physically changed his gender.) The boys lived with their mom, and their dad, Michelle, had come by that Sat. morning to pick up his/her sons and my son to go shopping. Now isn’t that a twist. “Normallyâ€

Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:30 am
All-star
All-star

When I was younger my mother had a nurse that changed their gender. My mother was friends with this person and they were at our house often. It never really bothered me but I was very young (9 or 10). Since my mother didn't make a big deal of it, I never thought it was odd.

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:06 am
All-star
All-star

When I lived in NJ, the man next door was a transgender. He lived there with his wife and two sons, but at night he would dress as a woman and go out. He also had breast implants. I knew this because even when dressed as a man he still had breasts that stuck out, so I knew it wasn't just a bra. My mother would joke that "IT" as we called him had some nicer dresses than we did and sometimes looked better in makeup than us. :lol: The family was very nice, and I even went over there at times. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. But I guess that's New Jersey for you. :D

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:47 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't recall ever meeting a "transgender" person. I'm not sure that I would notice anyhow unless it was very obvious.

Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've never known a transgender person. I think I would be unable to relate to their feeling and experiences and would feel very uncomfortable around them. As a teacher, I hope that I NEVER have to deal with this issue!

Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've never known a transgender person that I know of. After watching the film, I wonder if you could really tell if the person did not let you know. I think Connie had a very informative perspective because of her job. There are many things that people keep hidden because they fear rejection from those around them.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:51 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not or have not know a transgender person. Not to say I haven't come in contact with any, I just don't know of any.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:34 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have and currently know three people who are transgender. One of them is obviously transgender despite her operation and the other two you would never know. They are just people like everyone else. I have learned through them that it is okay to ask questions as long as they initiate the conversation about their experience. I think they would feel more uncomfortable if they did bring it up and you had no response.
Jennifer T. again

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:17 pm
All-star
All-star

Since watching the video I wondered about that myself. How many people have I known or come into contact with ie school or work that were transgender and I didn't know - did they want to tell someone to have someone understand. I haven't personally known anyone but I would imagine that it would be quite tramatic.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I have never known a transgender person. When I was in the Army in Hawaii ther was plenty of them walking around on pay day. They were called "mahus" and I knew a few guys that got a surprise when they took a "girl" home one night. The stories they told were hilarious.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]