View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 What About the Boys? 
All-star
All-star

I can remember when my four year old son’s little kitty got attacked and killed by the neighbor’s dog. It had happened when I was at work. When I returned home, my husband was holding our son as my son was trying to tell me what had happened. My son was not crying but was obviously shaken. When I finally understood what had happened, I said, “oh noâ€

Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:59 am
All-star
All-star

I think the next generation of boys will be much more caring and emotional as fathers. Many teenaged boys today have fathers who have gone through similar transitions, and I think these boys will carry with them the more compassionate side they hve seen of their fathers when they become parents. They will feel more capable of handling and displaying their own emotions and therefore will encourage this in their children.

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:20 am
All-star
All-star

My sons cry when they feel the need, I have seen my father cry, and I know that my grandfather cries. They are not "emotional" babies, but feel they do not have to be "manly" and keep all their emotions in when it is appropriate to cry. I think that being able to cry shows a more manly side to any man.

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:41 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hope this next generation of boys grow up with their emotions in-tact. I know men "not crying" was more the norm in the past and that is so sad. My husband is not that way. He cries when he feel sad or has a sentimental moment. He does not tear up as often as I do but he does cry. My boys seem very sentimental and empathetic at this point and I hope that our culture does not change that.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I do not mind if boys or men cry. I recently was at a funeral and witnessed men and boys crying in front of alot of people. I don't believe in the whole "be a man" and "toughen up boy" attitude. If you are sad, be sad or upset or whatever. There is no point to hold it all inside and let it fester till you are sick. I think the attitude has changed over the years. But it may also depend on region. If you live in a low income area and there is a lot of violence in the area then I can see alot of toughen up attitude.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:16 pm
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
Although I am a young father of a little girl, I feel that I would act and react the same way to situations if she were a boy. I have no problem showing emotion in front of her. Despite seeing the sensitive side, she still runs to me for protection and looks up to me as "Mr. Incredible" (she gave me the name after she saw the movie).

Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My step-son is 22 and going through a divorce and has a three year old boy. Sometimes he will break down and cry about everything he missed out on as a teenager and what he is going through now. He only does this with me. He would never show anything but anger with his dad. I think it helps him to get those emotions out. On the other hand, I have seen him tell his son not to cry or be a big boy.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]