View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 What about the women 
All-star
All-star

While it is important to address all issues of "minority" and the ways that it may affect learning in our classrooms it is vitally important that other issues such as violence against women ie rape and child molestation of both boys and girls are discussed. Kids will come to us especially if we are "approachable" teachers looking for someone to confide in if we are unprepared to meet the challenge because our hearts are closed then they will be able to see that and will shut down maybe forever. But having seen the video on being transgender it gave me a new perspective into the minds and lives of others - just being exposed to something out of the ordinary usually makes a lasting impression upon a person. It left me wondering how many people have I known that was transgender but perhaps didnt feel comfortable telling me - I want to be approachable expecially for the kids.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you. I want to be approachable for my students. I do not want to be some mean teacher where students dread going to my class. That just makes for a bad learning environment.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Charity, I know the feeling. I know that sometimes I have probably felt unapproachable to certain people simply because they know what types of values and morals I have. I can't give up my morals and values to please everyone I don't think I should have to. I would hope that through my beliefs people would see that I am a fair person or at least try to be the best that I can.

Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too want to be approachable about any concern my students may have..what worries me the most is if I will handle the situation correctly or at least with compassion and genuine interest. I find that my perceptions are completely different sometimes between me and my own children how can I convey my message correctly to students?

Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
At work I tend to be the staff member that the kids open up to or feel comfortable around. The guys (kids) have even commented how they wish that I could let them come home with me. It is not that I am soft and allow them to get there way, but by holding them accountable for there actions and being empathetic to whats going on with them I seem to be able to earn their respect and trust. Kids are often looking for someone to here them out and sometimes that's all it takes.

Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]