View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 SAT went well for me 
All-star
All-star

I'd just like to say that taking the SAT was a good experience for me. I took it in the eigth grade and again in the 12th grade and thankfully improved my score lol but after taking this class I can see how it would be unfair to some people because it really addresses individuals and isn't that part of what democracy is all about....making it a level playing field for everyone.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Standardized testing (SAT, EOG) are one way of testing and catagorizing students ability. However, I believe after learning of institutionalized racism, that these test are designed, perhaps not so much intentionally, to perpetuate the success of those who belong to the culture of power.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:05 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Standardized testing (SAT, EOG) are one way of testing and catagorizing students ability. However, I believe after learning of institutionalized racism, that these test are designed, perhaps not so much intentionally, to perpetuate the success of those who belong to the culture of power. :idea:

Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:06 am
All-star
All-star

As I mentioned in class, I did not do so great on the SAT and feel sure I would probably do worse today due to the fact I have been away from being "schooled" for many years. My sons, however, 17 and 24, both did fine on the SAT, with my older son having the higher score and he being the one of the two who appears to be the more “intelligent.â€

Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I took the PSAT my freshman year and the SAT my senoir year. I was not a very studious student and needless to say my scores were not that good. After I got out of the military and moved here CCC&TI told me that I'd been out of high school too long for my scores to even matter. So basically the SAT did absolutely nothing for me.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I took the SAT three times. The first time I just wanted to see what it was like. The second and third times I made the same score but different scores on the individual parts. I am one who does not test well, especially on standardized tests. I have bad test anxiety and can go into a full blown panic attack. My scores were low average but they were nothing compared to my GPA.

Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:57 am
All-star
All-star

I never took the SAT's because I was going into the military right after high school. I did take the ASVAB and scored really well on it (don't ask me what I made, that was 20 years ago and I've slept since then LOL). My recruiter told me I could basically have any career that I wanted while in the Navy. But then I left to get married to an Air Force man and never had my Navy career.

Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:03 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Post SAT
I took the SAT one time. I scored 200 points higher than two of my friends that received scholarships to four year schools. I scored 300 points higher than a girl that was friends with my wife and she received a full scholarship also. I think schools look at the SAT, but they do not always put a lot of weight on the scores.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]