View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Drug Testing....Bad or Good? 

Should teachers be drug tested?
YES! 90%  90%  [ 9 ]
NO! 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Drug Testing....Bad or Good? 
All-star
All-star

I started an internship with Gaston County Schools in August. In order to be an intern, I had to be fingerprinted and undergo a drug test as described in Nickel and Dimed. It was very time consuming, but it didn't make me feel untrustworthy and angry and obviously not happy. I think the idea of fingerprinting, drug testing, and even signing things promising to keep information confidential and to only look at acceptable things on the internet to be good and useful policy for a school system to have. I think it sets a standard of expectations and accountability. I also think it is a good idea to do the same with employees in the positions listed in the book. After all, when I think of how many times I use my credit card at those places described, it would be nice to think that the employers did something to ensure that the employees are honest. (Not that the tests always tell this in education or in other jobs). Anyway, my question is what is your opinion on drug testing in jobs....both education and otherwise?

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I am not against drug testing educators. We work with impressionalbe young people and must always strive to set a good example. Whether we want to be or not, we are role models for our students. Therefore, we have a moral and ethical responsibility to follow laws and regulations concerning illegal drugs.
If people become defensive or are offended that they have to undergo a screening, maybe we need to ask why? That reaction would bring doubt and suspension- not the testing itself.
Drug testing is a safety issue. Safety is the number one responsibility of teachers and administrators. As a mother of two, I want my boys safe while they are in school. Keep testing.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:55 am
All-star
All-star

I don't think drug tests are effective. Most drug tests only make you provide urine samples. Urine samples aren't as reliable as other types of tests. I just don't see the point of wasting money on drug tests that don't offer very conclusive results.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I also think that drug testing is uneffective and too expensive. I think the money spent on drug testing would be better used in other areas of education.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:25 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Tammy. Drug testing is the least we can ask of our teachers and school administrators. We are working with children of many ages, and I believe drug testing, and background checks are the least drastic measures that should be taken to ensure the safety of our children. As educators we are responsible for our students and I feel that teachers should be setting an example for these students. At any other job, employers are required to drug test, why should teaching be any different.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:00 am
All-star
All-star

We do random drug tests on school bus drivers in my system, so why shouldn't we test teachers as well. I know that when I send my children to school I will want to know that the teacher is trustworthy. We have a big responsibility as teachers to watch over these students. As a future administrator I believe that I would want people applying to be at my school to be tested.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:36 am
All-star
All-star

I have no problem with drug testing for teachers. I do feel there are ways around the test if you fear you wouldn't provide a "clean" sample. I was surprised to hear of all the ways in the book that you could ensure you passed the test. Before entering the world of education, I worked at Sara Lee. Before I was officially hired I had to submit to a drug test-that was 20 years ago!

Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:00 am
All-star
All-star

I think that anyone working with children should be drug tested. If I was a parent, I would want to make sure that my children weren't being supervised by drug users. Mitzi brings up a good point from the book that there are ways to ensure you pass the test. I know of a person who did just that. Therefore, I think there should be random tests. Just like random fire drills, we must make sure our children are as safe at school as they could possilby be.

Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:29 am
All-star
All-star

I believe that everyone that works with children of all ages need to be drug tested. I also believe that the administration needs to do a better job doing random drug tests after the teachers, Principals, AP...are first hired. I do not want someone that has a drug problem working with my child or the students at my school.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I think teachers should be held accountable and tested for drugs. I do think that we should have other forms of testing rather than the urine screening, but I don't want a teacher coming in high as a kite or drunk off their butt to teach my children. It is wrong and we should set the examples for society.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]