View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Tenuous Hold 
All-star
All-star

When I got to the part early on in Ishmael where we find out that he is a gorilla, I laughed out loud. The more I read, however, the more I find myself thinking how sad it is that animals may very well "get it" a lot better than people do when it involves issues concerning the environment and how tenuous our hold/control over it is. It was also quite a slap in the face to realize that I am a Taker.
My question is this: Howmuch/how far should we go in schools to teach our students about taking care of the environment and not looking at ourselves as the only creatures who depend on the stability of our environment for survival?

Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:27 am
All-star
All-star

I feel that it is important for us to make students aware of the world around them. There are several ways that you can include it into the curriculum. It fits in well with social studies. We need to teach students more then just what is on the test, and this is an issue that will effect them.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:37 am
All-star
All-star

I think that it is very important to teach students about the environment. Lessons can be intergrated throughout the curriculum and there are many service projects that can be done. Students get enthusiastic about helping and making a difference. Some of the most memorable times I had in school were service and clean up days. A great way to get students thinking would be to start a recycling in program in your classroom or in your school.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:00 pm
All-star
All-star

I also think it is very important to incorporate environmental studies into the curriculum. For a lot of students, if they don't hear it at school they won't hear about it at all. At the A+ school where I am an intern, this concept permeates everything. Units on ecology are ongoing and the school's motto is: "I am responsible. I treat myself, others, and the environment with respect." If we make the effort to teach our students to be kind, caring people, shouldn't we be teaching them to care about the world around them as well?

Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I also believe students should be taught to treat the environment with respect. I think this is an important lesson that is oftentimes overlooked. If we teach students to take care of the things around them, they no longer look at themselves as superior. Teaching students to treat the world with respect will create a more conscious student body that will hopefully make a difference in our world. This goes back to Amy's and Paige's posts about making a difference. Maybe the students as a whole can make a difference if we train them all to be aware of their surroundings. But then again, maybe I am being too optimistic.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:15 am
All-star
All-star

It is so important to teach students about ways to protect our environment and not just during Arbor Day and Earth Day. I think our schools need to do much better. I love the motto that Amy's school uses. I hate that schools use styrofoam. We can have a wonderful lesson in class than go to the cafeteria and use something that will never biodegrade.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]