View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Are we captives? 
All-star
All-star

In "Ishmael" Quinn refered several times to us being captives. Do you think that is a accurate description of our situation today? Are we free to do things as we please or are we limited to make decisions by society and our circumstances?

Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:59 am
All-star
All-star

I think that we are captives of the society that we have created. We are free in a sense and our generation will probably continue to enjoy this freedom. I wonder if we are creating a situation in which future generations will be captives of the culture and world we have left them.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:31 am
All-star
All-star

I don't like the word captive; to me, it's too strong. However, I do think we are at times limited by circumstances as to what we are able to accomplish. Whether it is a policy, law, or just political red tape, sometimes we just don't have the time, money, patience, and tenacity to endure and overcome the roadblocks to make real change occur.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:42 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Tammy. I think that the circumstance you are in may make you feel captive. I know that for the next four years, I am captive in the state of North Carolina and if I want to free myself it would be a huge financial strain.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Tammy that captive is a strong word. I do think that it comfortable to be captive, just as it is to be politically correct. But we don't have to be captive, or live like we are captive, we have the choice to be different...to be free.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I think being captive means thinking inside the box. I think Quinn's use of the word captive relates to our inability to see all the harm we are doing to earth. We are captive--"inside the box" of our culture-- I liked the article Gayle shared with us about the Industrial revolution-- how our society began to think differently about the way we were doing things; we began to think outside the box. Ironically, the result of thinking "outside the box" during that period, has created a "new box".

Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:19 am
All-star
All-star

I think most people are captive to the society in which we live. However, if we are conscious of this we can make an effort to change this and think "outside the box". If we try to keep ourselves from getting completely immersed in the rat race that is capitalist America, perhaps we can remove ourselves from that captivity to a certain degree.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I think we are captives to the extent that we let ourselves be. Constraints of time, job, money, etc. make a lot of people feel trapped. I think that if you believe there is a higher purpose in this life you won't feel so captive because you will have hope for the future.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:17 pm
All-star
All-star

To be somewhat controversial... I don't feel that we as whites are so much captives as racial and ethnic minorities. I have had many diversity classes, and am currently in a race and minority relations class, and believe that while whites have the power to escape their captivity, that this objetive is much more difficult for members of other races. Society puts many constraints on minorities, making them sometimes unknowingly, captives...

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]