View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Still separate, still unequal by Kozol 
All-star
All-star

I just got done reading the report by Kozol in last months Harper's magazine. He addresses the fact that public schools are still very much separated and most schools named for the great African-Americans of our time, who promoted desegragation, are still very much segregated. Most schools he mentioned, the student populations for black or hispanic students were all in the upper 90 percentile. I am wondering if you feel this in your school system?

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:22 am
All-star
All-star

I don't feel this way about Watauga, mostly because everybody here is so white anyway. Where I'm from, though, schools are very much segregated by the areas that comprise them and these areas are segregated in themselves. It's interesting to think how segregation is so often dependent on geography, especially in schools and churches, where theoretically and historically, a sense of community is supposed to be the strongest. What happened to that concept?

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:29 am
All-star
All-star

I am interning in Gaston County and it does seem that segregation occurs because of the community school concept. Since the school I am working in is in a predominately black area of town, the school is predominately black too. One thing I have noticed in Gaston County is that really good principals and teachers have been put into these schools. The newest school, which is named for the black superintendent, is most black and the lowest income school in the district. I think it is great that this where the new school was built, the old school it replaced was very out-of0date and small.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]