View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Disenchanted youth 
All-star
All-star

While reading Ishmael and after reading Paige's last post, I got to thinking about the optimism of youth and how often we seem to lose that optimism as we get older. I was wondering how you all feel about this optimism. I was convinced that I could change the world as a teenager, but now feel that I can only do my part in small ways and hope that this is enough to make some sort of difference. I guess the question I'm trying to ask is this: When, exactly, do we lose that part of ourselves? When do we go from naive teenagers out to change the world to adults who realize that we are not entirely capable of this feat?

Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I think we start to realize our inadequacies when we start paying rent/house payments, car payments, insurance and all the other stuff we take for granted that has either been provided by our parents or we just haven't committed to paying yet such as IRAs, mutual funds. It's the time when we realize we have to grow up and we have to make all those life decisions that go along with our freedom to decide. My children are still very optimistic and although I don't want to discourage them, I do encourage them to be realistic--maybe that's a bad thing. I certainly support their endeavors, but want them to realize that they can only control their actions, not everyone else's. Occasionally my non-grown-up, child-like enthusiasm spills out and it's still fun!!

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:51 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe you're right, Mitzi, to teach your children to be realistic while giving them the support they need. I don't think that's a bad thing, I think it's our responsibility as parents. You can teach a child to be responsible without turning them into a pessimist.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I think we have to do both as parents. I want my children to be realistic, but at the same time I want them to know that they can do great things if they truly try. That may not make sense. It really is a hard thing to balance. I guess we just have to help them determine what they can do and encourage them to aim for their best.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:53 am
All-star
All-star

I do think we lose our sense of bravado when we get into the "real world." The focus is now on everyday life. Working to pay bills becomes the focus of most people's lives. I think the monotony of this bogs us down, and we lose the desire to change the world that we had as teenagers. It no longer appears feasible.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:07 am
All-star
All-star

I think that it is important to remember the power of youth as we teach them and involve ourselves in their lives in other ways. Some of the most powerful educational experiences we can provide are time in which students feel they are given the opportunity to make a difference. Service to the environment, the community and the school can provide encouragment to the students that could change our future.
I guess I think that it is ok to loose some of the naive optimism, but it's not ok to think that the little things don't make a difference. Too many of us do not take the time to recycle or carpool, things that can be done, especially as we become adults.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:27 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Amy that it is easy to lose our optimism, but I think that things can also happen in life that renew your optimism. I felt this way when teaching. I had some great students, who really cared about other people and did a lot of volunteer work. Some students did just enough to get credit for a club or activity so they could use it for college applications, but others would do numerous hours of volunteering just because they cared.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I remember having a great deal of optimism in high school. I went to a small-town high school where it was very easy to become involved. I was in all of the clubs, student government, and all that jazz. When I got to college, that quickly changed. I was suddenly at a school with thousands of students and I was on my way to learning about what I would be doing for the rest of my life. I felt intimidated. I went from undergrad straight into getting my master's. I knew that I wanted to go ahead and get it without waiting. Getting into my sixth straight year of ASU is really starting to get to me and I am losing my optimism quickly! Everyday I find reasons as to why I am ready to be out of here and get on with being a teacher! I am so excited and I have confidence that I will reach a more optimistic state. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble!

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:40 pm
All-star
All-star

For me optimism, comes and goes. I get really excited when I see things change for the better and knowing that I was part of that change. It is really hard work but I want to be an optimistic person. I wanted to become and administrator because I feel like I can help more children do better and reach their dreams. My husband thinks I am crazy, but I do get up almost every day thinking how am I going to help the struggling students stay in school or how am I going to make my school a better place for everyone. Call me crazy, but I hope I never lose my optimism for student or school improvement.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]