View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 School vouchers for hurricane victims. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The debate is going on that students that were displaced due to the recent hurricanes may go to a another public or private school within the country and the original public school must reimburse the new school district or private school.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I do not think that the original school district should have to pay for the displaced students. They are going to have so much financial burdens rebuilding schools or fixing schools. In an ideal world the government needs to pay the districts that will house most of the students like Texas, Mississippi, ect...It will be a shame if the burden gets placed on the home districts.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Carrie. School systems that are taking in these students should receive some additional funding. For our system, this event happened after the magic 10th day of school when enrollment numbers were sent in. Those numbers determined whether schools gained or lost teachers, funding, etc, and schools who got a lot of hurricane victims were just out of luck. I think LA and MS are going to have more than enough to spend their funding on just to get schools up and running again.
My husband was in MS yesterday and talked with a lady who is a cafeteria worker in an elementary school there. Her school is the only one in the district that was able to be reopened as of yesterday. She and her coworkers have been cooking breakfast and lunch for all 1200 of the district's school children since they reopened. I don't think they're asking for handouts, just help.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:45 am
All-star
All-star

I also think that the government should be responsible for paying for these schools. The schools they come from have enough to deal with. It is not right to make the schools that received the large number of students to pay for it either. They did not plan for all the resources that they will now need to supply these students with an education. For the systems that did not receive many students, like the ones around here, I don't see why they can't help pay for what they need. We should all do what we can to help out.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:33 am
All-star
All-star

I don't think the original school system should be footing the bill for the displaced students. They have enough to worry about as it is. I think the school districts with students from the hurricane should receive some sort of relief from the government. The home school districts should not have to worry about paying other districts to educate their students. They should be focusing all of their energy on rebuilding their schools.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]