View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 ACT and GPA 
All-star
All-star

This was in the ASCD yesterday and I found it interesting. "About a third of Arkansas seniors graduating between 2002 and 2004 had inflated grades, according to University of Arkansas professor Sean Mulvenon, who compared students' grade-point averages with their scores on the ACT. Mulvenon briefed a legislative panel Tuesday and said 31% of college-bound graduates with a 3.0 GPA or higher had to take remedial courses in college." Do you feel high schools in North Carolina inflate grades?

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think schools or teachers inflate grade purposely. I do think however that the standards have been lowered, and often what is defined as an honors level class is not TRULY honors level. I really think that from school to school a course is different. This is one reason I am for standardized testing, like the EOCs. The Chemistry EOC is a good test. I think it tests, for the most part, what kids should know after leaving a Chem I class, and the AP tests are great and rigorous. Without such tests, grading can be too subjective and inflating can occur too easily.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]