View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Emmett Till: Cold Blooded Murder or a Lynching? 
All-star
All-star

As I watched the piece on Emmett Till, I was completely disgusted. How could someone ever be proud of killing anyone? I can only hope that before those men died they realized the severity of what they had done. What do you think about Emmett Till's murder. Some call it a lynching and others simply say it was murder. When I think of lynching, I think of public hangings. What do you think about Emmett Till's death? Was it a lynching or cold blooded murder?

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:11 pm
All-star
All-star

Whatever you call it, it was a terrible act. It is hard to imagine that people are capable of such acts of injustice. All of this over a whistle. I can not imagine living in such fear that this type of thing could happen to you at any time.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:16 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Ricky in that whatever it is called it is awful! But I would say it was a lynching, because it had such a high level of torture involved. It was way more than just a murder!

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:35 pm
All-star
All-star

What I can't get out of my head is how that wife of one of the murderers could live with herself. They all looked so happy when the judge made the ruling and that is just sick to me. But like Stephanie said in class; she probably has had so much time to justify it in her head. And her son was so aggrivated at the anchorman and camera. I think that if she and her husband had nothing to do with it, they would have interviewed.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I, like everyone else that replied, can not imagine hating a person so much as to kill them. That was a horrible period in American history. I wonder if the wife feels anything right now. When the news reporter came up to the door the look on her face was interesting. It looked like 'Oh Crap it is not over like I thought. What is going to happen now... I do not wish bad on anyone but I wonder if she had a hard time sleeping after it came to light again.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:23 am
All-star
All-star

I think that what happened to Emmett would be classified as a "heinous crime." To me that better describes what happened to him. If there is anyone who does not believe there is such a thing as evil in this world, all they have to do is read about victims like Emmett for evidence of evil's existence.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it was murder. It was hard to watch how cruel one human being could be to another and with no remorse that I could detect. I think one day they will realize the severity of their crimes.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:20 pm
All-star
All-star

This was deffinitely a disturbing video and I appreciated having to watch it. It is too easy for me to believe that race issues are a thing of the past. Seeing where we were such a short time ago makes me realize that race relations are still a major concern. I used to think that I grew up in a part of the country without racism, but I now realize that I grew up in an area without diversity, therefore I never saw the issue.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:48 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with everyone that it was difficult to watch, but entirely necessary. Like Rachael said, it is too easy to ignore the crimes of the past. I also agree with Ricky that I just can't imagine having to live in fear like that. To a certain degree, I feel like it's comparable to the Holocaust. Like Jews in hiding during the Holocaust, Blacks during this time in America's history also had to lie in wait, afraid for their lives. I feel so fortunate that I haven't had to live that way yet. But you never know. These types of things could always happen again in America and are happening in places like Somalia, Rowanda, and Croatia every day. It's interesting how our government can go into these other countries and preach about how they should live, but chooses to ignore the lack of civil liberties that have happened in this country since its inception. The most ironic in my mind is that while we were fighting Hitler for his crimes, we were committing the same crimes in our own backyards by forcing Japanese-Americans into internment camps. I find this completely hypocritical.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:16 pm
All-star
All-star

There has to be a name that conjures up more vindictiveness and hatefullness and just plain evil than "cold-blooded murder". I don't think murder is strong enough.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]