View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 What was the biggest issue in Boston...Busing or Racism? 
All-star
All-star

In response to Ricky's thread on busing, I am not an advocate for busing either, but I think that what took place in Boston had more to do with race than busing. No matter what the people in Boston said or even thought they were arguing about, the real issue was race. I don't think the violence would have been what it was if the real issue had been just busing. I think it was easy for the people of Boston, and it is also often easy for us, to argue about one issue (busing) when their/our true anger is another issue (desegregation) that is not as politically correct to be angry about, so we make up a more "correct" arguement. Any thoughts?

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Jennifer. "Busing" is an easier issue to yell about than the real issue of desegregation. Yesterday, I had a white student in my office concerning a bus issue. He informed me if I would just get the "niggers" off the bus his life and mine would be easier. I was shocked. It just reinforced my believe that we have a long way to go.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:40 am
All-star
All-star

That students comment is shocking. What do you do with the students, I guess I am curious how to handle a situation like that? It sounds like a threat to me and I would be very concerned.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:53 am
All-star
All-star

I also think that the real issue was racism. I think that their anger was just displaced. I am also shocked to hear what Carrie's student said. I guess I knew those beliefs were still out there, but I never really encountered them. Reading her story just made it more real. I am also curious as to how you responded Carrie.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:29 am
All-star
All-star

In response to everyone else's statements, the clear issue here is an issue of race, and the bussing was a displacement of anger at the issue of desegregation. I was shocked to find the issue of racial separation so dominant in the North. I knew it was an issue here, but had never imagined the severity and prevalance of the issue in the North. And as Carrie has pointed out, the issue is one that is still very alive today! Some people I know still talk very much about the KKK and the issue of prejudice and discrimation is prevalant in their conversations. I am ashamed to overhear these conversations, and don't know how to go about adressing the issue with these people. I take great offence at the references made, but know that I can not change someone's attitude or beliefs. This is a very delicate matter. Carrie, what did you tell the student that came into your office?

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:12 am
All-star
All-star

I feel that the major issue was race. People would not have been so violent over busing alone. This deep rooted hatred for over races that these people had took over their actions. Many of these people were probably descent people, as long as they were allowed to live in their world. Once they had to step outside of their comfortable lives and interact with blacks this hatred took over them. This should not be exceptable for people in a country that is considered a melting pot.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:59 am
All-star
All-star

The real issue was racism. The busing was just a way for the public to see - graphically - that racism was very much alive in Boston. It seems the busing of students fanned a flame of racism that had been quietly smoldering for some time.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]