View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Direct Instruction opposed to Whole Language 
All-star
All-star

I am taking a Teaching Beginning Readers and Writers class right now and so the subject of whole language has been running through my head all semester. I believe that direct language is not effective. If a child is not learning how to read and write in a meaningful manne, then I think it is almost useless. If a child has a certain dialect that he or she is writing and a teacher hands the paper back to him or her and tells the student to correct it, then how do they know how to correct it?
I also think it is important for children to learn Standard English and when to use it. I have a southern accent; it's part of my discourse. I choose when I can speak with my accent or when I should use Standard English. For example, if I'm around my family and friends, then of course I will speak the way I usually do; however if I'm in an interview or meeting with a professor then I turn on the Standard English. I think it is important for children to learn that technique.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I have a hard time when teachers tells a student to go back and correct the mistakes without any explanation because the student obviously did not get it the first time. I think teachers need to take a couple of minutes to explain what the student missed. I have seen wonderful teachers that spend their day truly teaching students every chance that they get. Walking down the hall, on the way to the cafeteria or a special area, in the AM or before second bell. Teachers like that are truly amazing to me.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:34 am
All-star
All-star

I believe that there is not one perfect approach to reading instruction. For me, because I have so many different levels of students in my 1st/2nd grade classroom, I feel that I must include various approaches. Each day I try to begin with direct and systematic reading instruction. I follow this approach with a whole language approach in which the skills can be used in a meaningful way I have to admit that my favorite part of the day is during literacy centers in which I observe what students do with the skills I have modeled or taught. The social interaction, the exploration, and the discoveries made during literacy centers are very revealing about the strengths, weaknesses, and learning styles of each child. Through observation during literacy centers I can better determine the effectiveness and/or ineffectiveness of my direct instruction. For me, I feel that both the direct approach and the whole language approach are important in a child's reading development.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I also speak differently among different groups. I share you southern accent and can ( most of the time) pick it up or drop it. I find myself choosing my words more carefully the more "formal" the setting and speaking freely and more comfortably when I'm with friends and family. I too think this is something important for students to learn--not just accents, but appropriate word choice and discussion among the group they are around at the time.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]