View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bullying and Teasing 
All-star
All-star

I received an email from Solution Tree that had this to say about bullying and teasing. "A report by the Kaiser Family Foundation and Nickelodeon found that bullying and teasing top the list of children’s school troubles: 74 percent of 8- to 11-year-olds and 86 percent of 12- to 15-year-olds say that teasing and bullying occur at their schools. According to the report, both groups rank teasing and bullying as “big problems,â€

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:50 pm
All-star
All-star

There was an incident a few years ago in which a 7th grade boy was being bullied and threatened by two boys twice his size. When the boy complained to his teachers they dismissed him, telling him the boys were all mouth. However, after a few months of changing his route from class to class in order to avoid these boys, he went to the principal, stating that he had been threatened and she could not allow that. She didn't. She called the two boys in. They admitted to making the threats but said it was all in fun. She suspended them both for making threats. They never bothered the seventh grader again. And the boy felt like he wasn't responsible for handling the matter alone. Now would this work in every situation, or could it make matters worse?

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:54 pm
All-star
All-star

Last semester another Graduate Student and I gave a workshop to a group of teachers on the bullying research we had done. We presented our research to the principal and she made it a manditory workshop for the teachers. It was really very basic concepts that we talked about, but it was important for the teachers to address the issue and understand the importance of it. The most valuable research we presented was the student interviews we conducted. This hit home with the teachers because it was the comments and concers of the students in their schools. This is a very important topic and concern for me.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:42 am
All-star
All-star

I believe that this is a very important issue to address in all schools. In the school I worked at last year, the teachers attended a workshop on bullying and the counselor visited each classroom to do a lesson on bullying. The school hardly had a problem with bullying and if any teasing occurred, it was dealt with immediately.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I think bullying occurs in all schools. Maybe not as bad in some, but it is always there to some degree. This is my biggest problems with schools. All students should be able to come to school and feel safe. I have always tried to deal with bullying severly. The problem is that there is not usually a lot that you can do. I have not been to any school that had a very strong policy for bullying. That is one thing that I plan to work on once I am in a administrative position.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]