View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Sudbury 
All-star
All-star

Wow-I am still so surprised at the Sudbury School. I had no idea that such a school existed. I like how we divided up the "For" and "Against" in class, because I can see both sides of the spectrum. I guess that the thing that really bothers me about the school is the video game playing. I think that it is horrible for educators to allow children to play video games all day long. Those kids might be playing games all day at school, then going home and play them at home. I don't understand how giving them that option, helps them grow up to be successful (unless your are going to design and produce video games-which even then you need to have some math and art background). I think it is suitable for them to give the options of reading and other educational activities, but video games? Am I alone in this?

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I did like the concept of student choice that was at Sudbury, however I agree that they have went too far. The fact that they could choose to play video games or PE all day troubles me. If we could find some happy middle ground between this school and public schools would be nice. Allowing students to choose and work at their own pace would be nice, but I feel that they should have to do so much reading and math each day. When the mother said she was not concerned that her child was not reading I was blown away. Maybe some of the concepts could be adopted in public schools though.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:10 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with you, Jaclyn. My husband and I limit the amount of video gaming our children can do at home and we're certainly glad that they do not play video games at school. At one point last night someone mentioned that the video games probably become "old hat" and the kids lose interest. Maybe that's the case.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]