View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Teaching at Sudbury 
All-star
All-star

Carrie told us last night that her husband would thrive teaching at a school like Sudbury. I'm curious, does anyone else know someone who is currently a teacher in a public school that you believe would love to teach in a Sudbury-ish school? If so, what is that teacher like compared to teachers you know who would go nuts if they had to teach in such a school?

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I would definitely love to teach at a school like that. I'm sure that they give their library LOTS of money for materials and they have to be very liberal in what topics they allow you to cover in class. I'd give it a shot for sure!

Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:56 pm
All-star
All-star

I would also love to teach at a school like that. The more I think about this type of school, the more I appreciate the philosophy behind it. The present public school system is very narrow-minded and suffocating in the way it instructs and assesses students. The present public school systems seems to promote labeling students--the smart student, the average student and the below average student--rather than appreciating the strengths and uniqueness of each individual. I believe we are all creative individuals; and are born with a curiosity and passion for learning. What happens to that curiosity and passion once we enter school? Sometimes I think the system can be abusive to the developing identity of the child.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I think I would go crazy teaching in a school like that. I like structure and control, which there is very little of there. I don't believe I would have done well as a student in a school like that either, although I know many students that would. I can think of several teachers that I have worked with that would enjoy teaching at this type of school, and would do very well there. I guess we are all different.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think I could teach in a school like that due to the fact I want everyone to do achieve to their greatest potential. I think children of this day and age play too many video games and watch too much TV. I think if this school focused on more discussions and outdoor activities, then it would benefit the students better. As a teacher, I could not walk past a room of students playing videogames all day and not say something about doing something productive with their time. Learn a new skill like playing piano or guitar! Playing videogames will not benefit you in the future unless you are planning to work for a computer or gaming company!

Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]