View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Waldorf schools is another interesting alternative 
All-star
All-star

In watching the video, another school was brought to mind--the Waldorf school. It is an alternative to the public school system. It is similar to Sudbury in that it believes in the importance of choice, freedom and respect for the child in his/her unique path to discovery, knowledge and contribution to humanity. I heard about it through a friend of mine whose daughter is a teacher at such a school in New York. The goal of Waldorf education is to provide students with choice and freedom, thus enabling students to realize their unique gifts and contribution to humanity as a world citizen. It also has something to do with making connections between religion, science and the arts. It sounds very interesting. Has anyone else heard of this type of school? It seems to be a bit more structured than the Sudbury schools, but I do not know enough about it or the Sudbury schools to make that statement as a fact.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm definitely interested in learning more about both of these schools. A school like Sudbury that is more structured sounds great to me. I really think that making one's own decisions is just as important as learning to read and write, really. Everyone teaches to the test so much now that kids are learning how to play the "test game", not to think critically for themselves. I'm very concerned about where this will leave our young people ten years from now. Part of growing up is learning to make good, responsible decisions and if we spoon-feed are students everything, I'm afraid they won't learn to think for themselves.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]