View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Success or sacrifice? 
All-star
All-star

The Prices sacrificed a child, a marriage (albeit a lousy one), and their family itself to convert the Congolese to Christianity. Was their sacrifice worth it? Does anyone think that they accomplished anything through the sacrifices they made, or was their trip a wasted effort all together?

Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:56 am
All-star
All-star

Nathan Price had his priorities completely screwed up. He gave up and lost everything that SHOULD have been important to him. In addition, he totally missed his calling and had little understanding of the Bible which he claims to know everything about. I think he sacrificed everything for a selfish desire to "save the world," but lost because he refused to see himself for who he really was. I don't think you can say that the journey was a waste though, because of how the lives of the other girls turns out. Leah and Adah especially found their voices through that experience.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:51 am
All-star
All-star

I also don't think their trip was a waste. The girls grew up with such an understanding of the world, and how things work. Nathan's plans were never really carried out, so I would think the trip was a waste for him. I don't think he ever realized what he was doing wrong, but as a result the girls became more aware of their surroundings and discovered their own identities.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think this trip was wasted. They all learned some extremely important, life-changing lessons. I think this book showed dramatically how actions bring consequences and how those consequences can be very costly!

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I dont think the trip was wasted, but it is hard for me to say that knowing all the outcomes I would have taken my family.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:07 pm
All-star
All-star

Who are we to determine if the Price's trip was a waste. Nathan felt he was on a mission, and although many sacrifices were made he probably felt he had accomplished something. I don't feel the trip was wasted. Any time you are immersed in another country and way of life, you learn so many things, and take so many things away with you, sometimes to the betterment of your person. If any one thing or lesson was taken away from this trip, then I think it's safe to say it was not a waste.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:06 am
All-star
All-star

I don't think that the trip was a waste. Nathan was a Christian who felt called by the Lord to go there. So in my opinion, nothing that the Lord calls people to do is a waste.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:58 am
All-star
All-star

I don't believe you could call it a waste. The trip greatly impacted their lives, so it couldn't be a waste. I think you can gain things from any experience, especially one this big. Each person was effected in some way and was changed by what occured.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]