View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Nathan Price--Exception to the Rule or the Norm 
All-star
All-star

I think Nathan is an exception to the rule when it comes to missionaries. He is selfish and uncaring towards his own family. He also seems to care little for the Congolese people and doesn't attempt to understand them. When I think of a missionary, I think of Lottie Moon, who was a Baptist missionary to China. She loved the Chinese people and befriended them. She dressed like them and embraced there way of life. She went to China to tell them about the love of Christ, not to Americanize them. She died because she gave all of her food to the Chinese people. She would use the money she recieved as a missionary to buy food, which she would give to the Chinese. She could not eat when she saw such hunger around her. As a result, many lived, but she died of malnourishment. I also think of Amy Carmichael who was a missionary in India. She did so much for girls who were being forced into prostitution. She gave them homes and hid them from those trying to hurt them. She also worked with countless orphans. These women are just a couple of examples of missionaries who gave their life to make the lives of others better. It wrong to clump all missionaries with the likes of Nathan Price.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:33 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with you, Jennifer, that Nathan is an exception. It would be wrong to lump all missionaries into the same category as Nathan. I do not see any LOVE in his mission work. I think he represents a PERCEPTION. Unlike Nathan, most missionaries I know display a great amount of genuine love and respect for others. However, I think it is very worthwhile to reflect upon Nathan's character. His character flaws--primarily his detachment-- certainly represent why it is so important to make connections with diverse people, cultures and environments as a missionary, as an educator, as a neighbor, etc.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Not all missionaries are like Nathan. I think Nathan had a wounded soul. He never recovered from his experience in the war. He could not abandon his missionary work because that is what he did during the war, and he never forgave himself. It is interesting to see people and watch them before a tragic event in thier lives and what happens to them afterwards. Some never recover and go off the deep end like Nathan did. He could not let his GOD down again. He blinded himself.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think all missionaries are like Nathan. I think he had a personal agenda while visiting the Congo. I think he wanted to make things right after what happened to him during the Vietnam War. I don't think he ever recovered from the tragedy, and therefore, was forever scarred. I do believe there are a lot of missionaries who do go out into the world for the right reasons and in the right manner. Nathan just needed to work on his approach just a little bit more.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:29 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that he was an exception to what most missionaries are about. He was there for himself, not for God. He felt guilty and was trying to remove the guilty feelings by becoming a missionary. I do think that he wanted to do good and serve God, but for the wrong reasons.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:58 am
All-star
All-star

I think Nathan was an exception. I think most people who go on missionary trips truly have the best intentions of helping others and sharing the Good News in such a way as to help not offend.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]