View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Solidarity vs. Objectivity 
All-star
All-star

I think it is very difficult to sit and try and determine if I am a pragmatist or a realist. I think I can be both depending on the situation. I agree with the solidarity in the examples of jury duty and the physician scenarios. I agree with the human nature in that society can play a part in changing norms as given with the example of grandmothers and being a "girl." And I also believe in "t" in that over time a better explanation may become available to answer questions. However, I firmly, whole-heartedly believe in "T" as well. I know I need to have absolute Truths in my life so when things go wrong, I have a firm foundation on which to ride that storm- not only to survive but triumph. I need to have absolute Truths so that I know how and who to give thanks to when things are going great. I can personally attest to the medical examples that we talked about in class. A doctor's truth is not all-knowing, and sometimes it is flat out wrong. But that is the truth as the medical field knows at that particular time. And it is in those times that I am grateful for my faith and God's absolute Truths.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:47 am
All-star
All-star

I really liked this book, especially when it stopped focusing on Nathan. I think after reading this book and all the others, the theme that I am going to leave this class with is remembering balance and how important it is. Cedric's environment was out of balance, emphasis on the SAT and other testing is too far on one side, Ehrenreich's experience in Nickel and Dimed is off balance, Ismael is way too unbalanced for me, Without Sanctuary is just plain wrong unbalanced, Sudbury isn't balanced, and Nathan's actions/attitudes become unbalanced. After all of the reflection from each of these books, articles, pictures, and videos, the common thread is to make sure that we keep things in perspective so that we can have balance. Not too far in either direction. And at the same time, knowing what you stand for, what you are willing to fight and speak up for. And I truly believe balance is different for individuals.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]