View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hooray for Community Support! 
All-star
All-star

I am in the process of conducting a Family Science Night next Tuesday and a Science Fair for the 5th Grade to be held in January. As many of you know, my school is 66% minority and about 55% free and reduced lunch. Our kids do not have the money to go out and purchase the fancy tri-fold boards in which you display your science fair project. We made an administrative decision and decided to purchase the boards this first year we have had a science fair for all 80 5th graders. I pounded the pavement looking for the cheapest price. They are about $8 on the average. Some stores would give me a few cents off each board BUT
Michael's gave them to me for the managers cost. She believes in our school and supports us in many endeavors. I purchased the boards for about $2.50 each. Thank goodness for true believers in education and equity!

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:55 pm
All-star
All-star

There are a number of businesses who are willing to help schools but we must remember to ask. Good for you that you asked!

Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:40 pm
All-star
All-star

You are right! Many, many people will help if we only ask. I saw on the news over the weekend about a high school in Guilford County (I forgot its name) who had volunteers to rake leaves for hours on Saturday. They worked long and hard and in the cold. But they also had businesses who donated gifts and other items to them for their hard work. That's a great way to make sure that we don't have to overwork the custodial staff and we can still get the job done. It probably also brings alot of school pride to the school and community.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:05 pm
All-star
All-star

That is great that you could find some help. I have found that most people will offer you a deal if you tell them it is for school. I know that I ordered pizza for my class when they all passed the EOG and I got a really good deal because I told them it was for class. I guess it makes others feel good to know they are helping out the schools.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:23 pm
All-star
All-star

There are so many resources out there. We just need to be willing to look for them. Many times people want to help schools out, they just do not know how.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:23 pm
All-star
All-star

We have a lot of success at my school getting help - you just need to ask.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:12 pm
All-star
All-star

In my school I have found that since i have entered the master's program that there are alot of people who do not like associating with me anymore. But they do like to nominate me for different task and jobs around the school. Saying "Since you want to be an administrator..." or "As an administrator you need to..." Well I am sick of it, they can do there own stuf themselves.

:? lets just forget what I just said there, I wasn't thinking. I think that I have been in this room working on my final exam for to long.

Is there anyone out there?!

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is exciting for the school and the kids. Science fairs are an important part of the school curriculum but most never get to participate due to cost or no desire. At least your students don't have the barrier of the cost to take them out of the fair.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]