View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Antoine Fisher 
All-star
All-star

Has anyone read the autobiography of Antoine Fisher? It is excellent, and ties in well with this class. If you have spare reading time this semester you can borrow mine. :lol:

Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:36 pm
All-star
All-star

Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
All-star
All-star

It's a book about a boy born to a mother in prison who ended up in the foster care system. There was also a movie based on his life that came out about two years ago. It is very powerful. The "boy" is now my age and was born and raised in Cleveland, OH at the same time as I and I just find it amazing that at the same time I was being reared in a loving home this young man was enduring torture across town

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:19 pm
All-star
All-star

Books are always better than movies; especially when the movie is based on the book. This book provides insight into the emotional roller coaster that Antoine endured while growing up. It also shows how the damage done to a child carries over into adulthood relationships. The book also shows the positive impact of having someone who cares and believes in you as major factors to overcoming the abuse done to Antoine. There's another book, A Boy Called David, by David Peltzer which describes the abuse done to him by his mother. This book shows how schools and social workers were oblivious, in denial, and just uncaring to the abuse done to David. We have no idea what goes on in some of the homes of our students. In my opinion the written word helps describe a character itrue feelings, whereas a movie is an actors interpretation of the written word.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]