View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Savage Inequalities 
All-star
All-star

I thought this was a real eye-opener as to the kinds of conditions some children must endure in order to go to school. I felt that one important part was when a principal said lawmakers need to invest in these children now, or they will be investing in the future when they have to pay for their jail sentence and the fact that they won't be contributing to society. It seemed that many law makers did not feel the need to invest in these children now....but, as the principal felt they will have to in the end, so it would be so much better for the children if they did it while they were young and not when it was too late to help them.
I know that I often get jealous of the new buildings some schools have, but when I put my teaching situation in comparison to some of the places described in the book, it seems I am working in a wonderful facility. I think the book really makes you reflect on the types of situations some kids come from and how their homelife cannot offer any stability or guidance. You really need to be case sensitive to some of these children.

Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:56 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Molly, Sometimes we get too caught up in the notions of all the things we "don't" have and lose sight of all the things we do. It is so disheartening that children go to school in such etrocious conditions. Whenever I travel throughout our own state and collaborate with teachers from the mountains to the coast, it still amazes me that there is not an equitable distribution of resources.

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:08 pm
All-star
All-star

The book brought many of the things we think to light. Think about comments we make when we get new students. "Where did they go to school?" or "Look how thick their folder is." We all need to focus on the children. Not where he or she can end up but take them from where they are and love them and build them up. I am a true believer in the fact that my life has been planned for me. Just like mine was planned, the children we see every day have a plan. Don't be the person or the situation that makes their life make a drastic change.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree. To an certain extent, we have be trained to do that. Not from our upbringings, but all of the things that teachers are held accountable for. We often look at students that can bring us down, and it should not be that way.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]