View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Responsible teachers?--Savage reading 
All-star
All-star

What saddens me the most while reading the book is the response towards students, and teaching, portrayed by the majority of the observed teachers. Oftentimes, the teacher is the only positive role model for many kids and if we don't believe in them, and say it and show it, students will not believe in themselves. Self-fullfilled prophecy!

We all need to have at least one person who believes in, encourages, motivates, and pushes us when we are at our lowest. I believe that is the beauty of the cohort experience. For me, when I am at my lowest, I can always depend on one of you to say something positive that touches me in such a way as to lift me back up. Can you imagine not having anyone believing that you are not entitled to the best that life has to offer?

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree. I can't believe the teachers have given up. But then I wonder how I would react working in those conditions day after day?

Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:39 pm
All-star
All-star

We asa teachers do not always fully understand the impact we can have on children in both positive and negative ways. We really need to be in tune with what we are saying and doing. Words of encouragement to a child can make a difference in their lives.

Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:02 am
All-star
All-star

I couldn't believe that in the entire reading of Savage-we learn about one teacher who seemed to care about the students. Her name was Mrs. Hawkins and it was unbelievable all the things she did for those kids. She spent her weekends with the kids and even her teacher break to take them outside. This woman had to spread herself thin in order to give opportunity to these kids, while if she had some help from other teachers, then kids would have more opportunity and she wouldn't be so tired. I am sure the students that she had will remember her for the rest of their lives. I had a little boy that I told to swim when he was little in daycare and every time I see him he hugs me. I didn't have to do that as a job requirement, but I knew how eager he was to learn because he was tired of seeing his friends leave him behind while they swam in the deep end of the pool...I gave hime the chance to learn and he snatched it right up. These kids just need opportunities...

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:08 pm
All-star
All-star

I look around the children in our school where the make up is mostly white middle class children. About two-thirds of our teachers have only taught at our school or schools very simiar. I think that it's a shame that this is all that they've ever seen. Before I came to this school, I taught at a Title One school and it really makes you stop and think about how much these children are dealing with each day. It's a wonder that they make it to school at all.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:58 pm
All-star
All-star

We sometimes forget as educators that we cannot cure the ills of society in the context of the school day. But we always try. My husband says that education is sort of a "ministry" of its own kind, where we will never be paid or appreciated for our intensity and contributions. But we know that, and we keep coming back in the hopes of making a difference to someone. Aspiring to leave such a legacy takes its toll on one's emotions at times, and in a low level administrative role, I truly try to "build people up" whenever opportunity allows. Teachers work hard, and seldon receive thanks from the children or parents they impact. It is a lonely, unappreciated job, even in affluent and policitcally correct situations.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]