View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Big Test 
All-star
All-star

In reading this book it seemed that a major theme was the idea of giving opportunity to those students who do not come from a wealthy family. It was common in the early 1900s for young men from wealthy families to attend prestigious schools and colleges. There were advocates that wanted a better chance for less fortunate students, so they created the SAT as an entrance exam for college which found men with high IQs so that they had a chance to attend college regardless of their family status. I do agree that people have more opportunities through scholarships and grants to attend college, but everything is so political and a name can still hold great meaning when trying to apply for a job or for entrance into college. I do not believe this was abolished through the establishment of college entrance testing. A name can still hold great power and influence.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:18 pm
All-star
All-star

In dealing with scholarship issues today, it seems that if both parents are employed and have any means of paying for college through loans or savings, scholarships are limited in NC. The working middle class, with kids who are in the top fourth of their graduating class, can usually kiss any scholarship assistance good bye. Often, as you have suggested, those high up enough to "know somebody" will get assistance, and those too poor to expect to pay as they go, can get a loan to pay back over their lifetime. At times, as a parent, I feel that I am being discriminated against for having a minimal but steady job.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:17 am
All-star
All-star

If you have a little or alot of money the state won't pay, but if you have no money you can recieve an education. Why? I guess what if you have it then that is all you should spend it on.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:12 pm
All-star
All-star

Joe, I think it goes back to the historical perspective of education that everyone deserves an education. Yes, it angers me that the way in which numbers are plugged in makes my family look like we have money to burn, but in reality we know otherwise. In defense of low income students, middle class and upper middle class families have a better chance of obtaining student loans than lower class students, who may not even have someone to co-sign for them. To rise above the poverty line an education is needed, and oftentimes it takes one person succeeding in order to reach down and pull other family members up.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that "small town" politics can really work against an individual. Who wants to be the admissions officer who terms down Bill Gates son? The beginning of the book made it sound worse than today though. I believe that if we remove the forms of bias from the exam completely and based it on IQ more we may be able to get better results.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with what everyone is saying. In Georgia, lottery funds are used so that any student graduating with a B average can attend any state institution tuition free. The only stipulation is they have to maintain a B average to keep the funding. Wouldn't this really level the playing field? Family income is not a concern, nor is background or political influence. It is based soley on achievement. The most wealthy kids usually choose to attend private institutions and if they do go to a state school, they are not taking funding away from anyone. the funds are there for every child in the state that wants a college education and is willing to work for it. Of course, they still have to meet entrance requirements - and I know of students with A averages in high school who would be very successful in college, but couldn't get in because they couldn't post the minmum score on the SAT. Not sure if there is a really "fair" way.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]