View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Big Test 
All-star
All-star

Do any of you believe that the SAT predited your success in college? Do any of you believe the GRE/Miller Analogy predicts success in graduate school? Is college like a test? Is it endurance and patience? Is it native ability? How do we know? Who has the advantage?

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:27 am
All-star
All-star

As we learned in our summer class with Dr. Olson. the test does not let us know our intellegance. It only helps to predict the possible ability of the individual

Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't believe a single test of any kind predicts the success a student will have. Dr. Olson stated that there is no way to show potential, but I don't agree.(surprise, surprise :roll: I think testing, along with written application essays and/or interviews may show student potential. Student success is dependent upon how the student uses his/her potential.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't believe the SAT can determine how we will do as students in college. I know that I did not do wonderful on the MAT prior to graduate school, but I feel like I have done well in graduate school. So, if that was any indication of how I would do-then I wouldn't be typing on this discussion board right now! I had a child that couldn't add properly last year pass the 3rd grade EOG-I know she has not mastered all of the objectives, but the test said she has, so whatever. I think we use tests to measure way too much.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:59 am
All-star
All-star

I don't think that test of any kind can predict what anyone knows or can predict the level of success one can achieve. I think that testing as we have come to know it, has began to restrict individual creativity, as well as keep students from exceling in areas, like the arts which give them non-traditional ways of showing their knowledge, talents, and capabilities. I think that things like the SAT/GRE are just ways that we can continue in our country to segregate races, social-classes, and in some respects gender. These test are vary biased and do not test other skills that are essential to survival other than what test-makers have decided is core knowledge and what SWABAT. What a shame! What is important for students to learn can be very objective to their environments. I think this is a key down-fall in our educational system.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:08 am
All-star
All-star

I honestly believe that it depends on the subject and program of study. With my undergraduate work it was all test based, and it was tough. The program we are in seems more like a practical knowledge. The method of study is very different.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Thank goodness a single test didn't decide my future or like you stated Molly I wouldn't be here talking on this discussion board. So much more depends on a student's sucess then a test. It is just like we were discussing in class tonight. Next week when my third graders take the Pre EOG I know that parents will be wanting to know the results right away. They base everything on these test scores. It will be even worse the following week when we administer the new IQ test, because parents look at this test in only one way; Does their child qualify for further testing for possible AG testing. As I write this I know that I too have to remind myself of what I just said. I've caught myself feeling this way since my own son will be taking these tests this year. So much is put on these tests that I too of course want him to do well, even though I know that these test do not show everything that I know that he knows and is capable of doing.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]