View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Young Hurricane Victims 
All-star
All-star

I heard on the news that NC is preparing to accept to our state families affected by the hurricane. How do you feel about this? What impact do you think these students will have on ABC and NCLB scoring? How will these families affect our economy? Once these families find housing how much assistance should we provide them, and who pays for the assistance? I'd like to know how others feel.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:29 pm
All-star
All-star

Hopefully these students scores will not affect our state's scores. I would hope that these students that come to our area will be allowed to enter our schools freely (is that a word?) without the discrimination that no matter what race these students are. I believe there will be teachers and administrators that will view these students as a threat to their state bonus. As I am sure we both are glad that we as a state are taking in these people who are displaces from their homes.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:52 pm
All-star
All-star

Joe, my prayer is that these students acclimate well to their new environments. I'm afraid that a number of these students will "be left behind." School records have been destroyed and it may take some time before teachers can assess where students stand academically. I hope our school districts provide the psychological help many of these students may require. Paperwork often delays much needed services and testing beneficial to student success.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I love the idea of having these families benefit from what the state has to offer. Right now, my concern would not be about ABC or test scores, but with giving the less fortunate opportunities. There is a reason that this nation is known as the "United States of America", and now is the time to live up to that name.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:17 am
All-star
All-star

Laverne, I agree. We need to be more concerned about the psychological and emotional well-being of these kids and not about test scores. Its sad to think that money connected to a single test score would cause us to lose sight of compassion.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I also agree. Even thought the main "focus" for schools is on leaving no child behind academically, I think that it also means not leaving them behind to watch the world destroy them. Every day I look at the pictures on the internet and TV and it hurts me to see how our "big dogs leading this nation" are doing nothing. At least, it looks that way to me. It is time for us (the people) to take control and help as much as possible, because it doesn't look like anyone else is going to do it.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:54 am
All-star
All-star

So many of our students come to school with issues that prevent them from learning---and they have homes. I can't imagine what these displaced families are going through, to go from having a home to have absolutely nothing. We must remember to be sensitive to the needs of the students and families. I am proud of the way in which my students have opened up their hearts to the refugees. Young children are very sensitive and generous.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:20 pm
All-star
All-star

There comes a time when we have to look past the scores and help people. I heard my principal mention that there are families from affected hurricane areas that have moved into our zone. I am thankful that the families were able to get out and have a start somewhere else. These students would be glad to start school and put some of the horror of the past few weeks and weeks to come behind them.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]