View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Great Divide 
All-star
All-star

The film showed how easily discrimination develops. It would be interesting to watch an experiment where one group of students were given everything, and the others had to do without. I would be interested in seeing if the "have-it-alls" developed the same better than thou attitude as the blue eyes. Socioeconomic status when coupled with other forms of discrimination is the worst to me. I hate to see a child trying to hide their poor clothing or dealing with the embarassment of being poor. This particular socioeconomic gap seems to be widening as well.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:14 pm
All-star
All-star

Sounds interesting. Why don't you give it a try with your students?

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:18 pm
All-star
All-star

It really is sad to see kids at such different levels economically. I had a little girl last year that would wear her coat all day long even when it was hot because she was embarrassed to show her shirt underneath. I hated that..when there are other kids that have a different outfit to wear each day. It is also sad that even if the school intervenes and gives the child clothes the parents are too lazy to keep them washed so that they stay nice so the children can wear them to school. It seems like a continuous cycle...

Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:02 pm
All-star
All-star

When my oldest son went to UNCC, one of the orientation acitivities was for each student to pronounce the word "Sprite" and everyone had to quess where the student was from. In his department there were people from all over the country and at least two foreign countries. His pronunciation of the word gained him the nickname "farm boy". He wasn't insulted, but it shows you how much people read into our every action. My son does not know anything about farming, but we do live in a rural area. Sometimes people with southern accents are dubbed as "slow", and that is another form of internal discrimination. Right ya'll.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I have also been judged due to the accent. The worst part of it is my lisp. This makes people think I'm really slow; possibly special. Whenever I say my full name "Douglas" my brother and a few of my demonic friends ask me if that is with one S or three. I have learned to laugh at it, but I am paranoid now because of this. It also makes it difficult when people ask me what I teach (sixth grade science and social studies). I should have stuck with Chemistry!!

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]