View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 How Do We Grow Good Principals? 
All-star
All-star

We are currently in School Administration classes, studying what is expected of us, as school principals, understanding the law and its requirements, mandates, etc. In How Do We Grow Good Principals, an idea of "creative insubordination" was raised, when we think about equality and fairness and meeting the needs of students with in our schools. Do you think this idea manifests itself in the challenge that we must take on to become good principals? Is this only relivant to principals that are in "low-performing schools?" Do we have a right to our students to sometimes defy or put off mandates, like school board requirements or new mandates, if these things are not to the benefit of our students/teachers? or must we be loyal subjects and follow the rules, to be successful administrators? As for me, I believe leaders, must create there own rules, and define their own objectives for their schools students and teachers, even if it mean putting themselves on the line. What do you think? :roll:

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:57 pm
All-star
All-star

I think you need to pick your battles. I would hope that all administrators would do what's best for their students, but know form experience that is not always possible. Some systems operate from the "top down" only, and a principal who stands up for what is right will find themselves without a job. Hard choice!

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that as educators and futrue administrators we have to do what is morally right for the children. I know this means "bucking" the system. But if someone doesn't do it, everything will continue to stay the same. I know our curriculum faciliator came to our third grade meeting with another requirement handed down from above. I think she was astonished when I asked her what would happen if I decided not to do it. It required more assessing. She didn't know what to say. Guess we will see what happens.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that each individual situation requires scrutiny from the administrator. Moral leadership is important, and I believe that we should look for the type of district that will not cast things upon us that are against our judgement. If something doesn't benefit children in some way, then we shouldn't do it.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:48 am
All-star
All-star

I heard an interesting story this summer....I had a friend in Surry County that had a combination 3rd/4th grade without an assistant. This is a tiny school with only one administrator. My friend worked so hard (obviously-could you imagine) and each child passed the EOG in her class, but one! Well, due to her duties in the classroom she sometimes failed to get all her paperwork for the county done. The principal decided to give her a below standard rating for this one reason on her summative and because of that one act Forsyth County now has an excellent new teacher...I think the principal should have assessed the situation. She shoudl have been more sensitive to the case because this teacher barely had time to breathe much less do endless paperwork for the county.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:10 pm
All-star
All-star

Sometimes it is not a matter of "creative insubordination" really, it often is simply a matter of prioritizing the things that most impact students and teachers. Good prinicpals often have to make decisisions about "what happens tomorrow" and there may not be time to make every administrative edict happen today. Acting in good faith, in every situation, and prioritizing duties and activities which most impact students can make for some very interesting days, with little or no time to contemplate insubordination. One veteran principal in our county said it best when she said, "You had better know what you believe in. " And act accordingly.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]